What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch Doug, really sorry to hear about your grandfather. Must be very rough, seeing him go like that. I have been quite fortunate that I have three healthy grandparents still (grandmother died of cancer nearly 15 years ago), and one of them is visiting right now for my graduation, which was earlier today.

Thanks for the congrats guys.

Sorry to hear that Doug. I can relate to a few shitting things people are going through in this thread. My grandmother passed away about 8 months ago now, my father was diagnosed with cancer on Thanksgiving and my company is going through a merger where I may lose my job after the integration is complete. Tough times.

Grandpa passed this afternoon around 5pm. He just faded out, there was no pain. Some few hours after I visited to see him. The visit was one of the most horrible and alien experiences I've ever had. I'm not sure how many people make it to my age with no previous close family/friend death. I dont quite know where to put myself. Thank you for all your kind thoughts.

Duggeh so sorry to hear that.

I was in my mid 40s before I experienced a close loss like that. It was my Grandmother, and I know exactly what you mean by "horrible and alien experience", it was like seeing someone else inhabiting her body. She was not there anymore, just a shell with some poor woman in pain. That's when I discovered that they need to wait until a family member tells them to give her all the morphine she needs to be comfortable. They can't suggest that legally in this country.

One week after my Grandmother passed, one of my favorite Aunts passed away, then just 9 days from then my Father died. It was the worst month I've had on this Earth. Especially since like most men there were too many unsaid things between my Father and I. I felt like a zombie for weeks.

But you get through these things, and you get stronger because of them. It didn't prepare me, but it did make it at least more familiar a few years later when my little 5 y.o. Nephew passed. That was the toughest of all!

I don't know much about your Grandfather, but I know a bit about you old bean, and I know for certain that you made your Grandfather a very proud man indeed! You're a good guy Doug, and you'll find a way to use this experience to be an even better, more empathetic man.

My glass is raised to you both!

Grandpa passed this afternoon around 5pm. He just faded out, there was no pain. Some few hours after I visited to see him. The visit was one of the most horrible and alien experiences I've ever had. I'm not sure how many people make it to my age with no previous close family/friend death. I dont quite know where to put myself. Thank you for all your kind thoughts.

Big hugs Doug, I'm very sorry for your loss. You won't ever overcome it, but you'll learn to live with it. Take care.

Big hugs Doug, I'm very sorry for your loss. You won't ever overcome it, but you'll learn to live with it. Take care.

Ditto. It hit me hard when I lost my grandfather and it took some time to live with it. My other grandfather died 3 days before I was born so I only had the one. :(

Went to work, bit of a hectic day there, but got all the paperwork I needed to finish before the long weekend. Came home to find I've missed the mailman (i.e., missed a delivery from HeadAmp) by few minutes. :(

Oh, and opened a PayPal dispute for the first time.

I have been packing up my house for the last couple days into a ABF trailer. Today is the final day and I can't wait for it to be over. Then I get to spend the next month being homeless until we close on a new house. Have to find the house first ;)

Why not just make 10 coats shiny-er?

Well, it's one shiny-er, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be ok at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Eleven. Exactly. One shiny-er.

I too woke up at 5:00am today, much earlier than usual. My wife had something to do with that. She's at the "I can't find any comfortable position" portion of the pregnancy. I'm now at the, "you're not sleeping if your wife isn't comfortable" portion of the pregnancy. Oh well, at least the kiddo was kickin' around this morning so it was worth waking up to experience.

Off work in a hour and then to the airport.

I too woke up at 5:00am today, much earlier than usual. My wife had something to do with that. She's at the "I can't find any comfortable position" portion of the pregnancy. I'm now at the, "you're not sleeping if your wife isn't comfortable" portion of the pregnancy. Oh well, at least the kiddo was kickin' around this morning so it was worth waking up to experience.

And still 3 months from now you'll be longing to sleep as late as 5am! ;D I'm finally far enough removed from it that I actually miss feeding Lily at 2am, well occassionally anyway.

And still 3 months from now you'll be longing to sleep as late as 5am! ;D I'm finally far enough removed from it that I actually miss feeding Lily at 2am, well occassionally anyway.

A good friend of mine told me that when his son was born he still got 9 hours of sleep a day.... broken up into 3 hour chunks... but 9 hours nonetheless. :eek: