What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words. I'm feeling pretty helpless about this. Better call Vicki for advice.

Unfortunately coming to grips with the fact that there really is very little you can do, is going to be the hardest for you Al. It's an extremely addictive drug, and you just can't make any decisions for someone who doesn't want to listen. I'm very close to this issue, as my Sister is addicted to meth as well. Her 5 year old sons death a few years back is now highly suspect to neglect, and the worst part is there isn't a fucking thing I can do about it. Letting go is a bitter pill I'm learning to swallow, but it's so tragic.

Hopefully your friend will be one of the ones who reaches out for help, and has the strength needed to go the distance. I hope so for your sake alone Al.

Ouch Al, when it rains.... :( Hope you and your friend find your way to better comings soon.

@Aura, best of luck to you and my condolences

@Tom, glad to hear your surgery was successful and wish you a speedy but relaxing recovery.

Ditto x3. Hope your mom's surgery goes smoothly Bryan.

Tom, sorry to hear and I hope you have a fast and easy recovery.

Brian, sorry about your loss.

Al, two partners? 0-3? That sucks but you will bounce back and I'm sure your daily box of money was still delivered. :)

Now to hopefully turn this thread from doom and gloom to my financial success. :) We just got a piece of litigation that if we don't win it in the early stages may pay for my retirement.

Not remotely on the same scale as any of the above, but I just had my first gear trading screwup. Shipped a DAC up to Canada and it arrived semi-functional, allegedly. Refunded the buyer and asked him to send it back. Anyone care to give odds on the chance of me actually seeing it again?

Tom, sorry to hear and I hope you have a fast and easy recovery.

Brian, sorry about your loss.

Al, two partners? 0-3? That sucks but you will bounce back and I'm sure your daily box of money was still delivered. :)

Now to hopefully turn this thread from doom and gloom to my financial success. :) We just got a piece of litigation that if we don't win it in the early stages may pay for my retirement.

It was a stupid discovery motion but I don't like losing and losing in front of an audience that might talk about it to others bothers me. Daily money box not withdrawn yet, fortunately.

And make sure you don't do too good a job on the motion to dismiss, etc., and then start stocking up on white shoes and Bermuda shorts. :)

It was a stupid discovery motion but I don't like losing and losing in front of an audience that might talk about it to others bothers me. Daily money box not withdrawn yet, fortunately.

Go and fire a few associates, Al. It'll make you feel better and boost the firm's PPP.

Not remotely on the same scale as any of the above, but I just had my first gear trading screwup. Shipped a DAC up to Canada and it arrived semi-functional, allegedly. Refunded the buyer and asked him to send it back. Anyone care to give odds on the chance of me actually seeing it again?

I'd say the odds are good and also welcome to my digital hell. It's a NE thing. What's the problem with the Aragon (allegedly)?

And make sure you don't do too good a job on the motion to dismiss, etc., and then start stocking up on white shoes and Bermuda shorts. :)

Glad to hear it Al. The other choice is to win and be a hero, big time to a good client. That pays off as well.

I'd say the odds are good and also welcome to my digital hell. It's a NE thing. What's the problem with the Aragon (allegedly)?

Intermittent channel dropout, not input specific. And the buyer has been straightforward and polite about it, which is always a good sign. We'll see.

That works great until the firm implodes as clients walk out from being tired of getting charged partner rates to send cease and desist letters. It's happened to several large firms (and other industries) stop expanding, fire staff, wring more work out of those remaining, increase margin, great profits, people start leaving, wither, die.

Of course looking for just this years profits is a great model for us all to aim for. It works so well on Wall St. and elsewhere.

I like your thinking Stretch. It's always good to have a dog around to kick when needed. :doghuh: But those backwater market Boston PPP figures are weak. :rolleyes: My firm went down to more than double those numbers in 2009, although if we had laid off bunches of people then it would have probably stayed at our record 2008 figures. :indra:

Positive thoughts to all those that need them.

On the subject of meth addiction, one of the bleakest, yet most educational ( in the sense that I was not aware, just how destructive this is at a personal / community level) documentaries I have seen is

Louis Theroux's The City Addicted to Crystal Meth where he examines how drug addiction has torn apart the city of Fresno in Central Valley, California.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Louis Theroux - The City Addicted to Crystal Meth

You can watch it here The City Addicted to Crystal Meth | Watch Free Documentary Online ( with pop up ads)

or directly ( with pop up ads) here MEGAVIDEO - I'm watching it

Not something (the addiction) I would wish on anyone