What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a hard drive die on me yesterday (the fabu Seagate "click of death" :palm: -- no, I'm not even going to defend myself from that one, thought I updated the BIOS, didn't), spent (yesterday and) today getting my system back to where it was and me with my work back to where I was, when we had a brown-out. My UPS responded to said brown-out by doing the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do, namely, shut off all electricity to the power outlets. :palm: Permanently. double-+-:palm:

Not a good week for me.

Dealt with a neighbo(u)r who felt my nanny's parking job had not left him enough room to move his car.

Eyeballing it when she parked I thought he would be fine, but he didn't. Fine, that's his right, and anyway we wouldn't want his spotless Benz getting within nose-upturning range of her lowly Fiat, would we? In truth the conversation really consisted only of his muttering and glowering, except when I asked him how fast he needed me to get the car moved (the nanny was across town with my daughter by this point) and he said he had a mate in Birmingham, the only clearly understandable words he said the whole time.

I spent the next two hours wondering whether the mate in Birmingham was mentioned for relevance to his timetable - Birmingham's a good two, maybe three hours from here - or whether having a mate in Birmingham was code for "I will have you killed." So far my poll of native speakers of UK English is split between the two interpretations but the consensus is that actual violence is unlikely.

Unless I accuse the Birmingham mate of being a Duran Duran fan.

Went to one place to wait in line to see security to be cleared to apply for a security credential that would allow me to stand in line to be security cleared at another place.

Not NORAD, not super-max prison. This was to help my boss smuggle a twelve pack of beer to a trailer-office outside the stadium where the super bowl will be played in four days time.

Got home from having a golfball size tumor removed from deep in my throat behind my ear. Got to go back tomorrow and have the nasty tubes removed from my neck. Its benign, (thank God for that) On the brighter side have lots of new records to listen to since I'm off work for at least two weeks.

Accepted a job offer on the other coast. Looks like I get to rejoin the ranks of the employed soon :)

Nice! Whereabouts?

difficult day just got more difficult. death in the family. :/

My condolences. I just got back from a wake for my friend's Dad. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Got home from having a golfball size tumor removed from deep in my throat behind my ear. Got to go back tomorrow and have the nasty tubes removed from my neck. Its benign, (thank God for that) On the brighter side have lots of new records to listen to since I'm off work for at least two weeks.

Wow! That's a hell of a tumor. Will you feel much better after recovery? Great to hear that it's benign. I had major surgery a few years ago. My only advice is to make sure you don't rush back to work if at all possible.

@Tom: Good news and speedy, music-filled recovery to you!

@Dan: You mean THE New Guy? What's that bastard doing down in your hood already?

As for me, I got my lunch handed to me by a judge this morning and when 0 for 3 in front of a couple of my partners who were there on another case. :palm:

Much worse, however, I just found out that one of my good friends who has been out of work and having a hard time is a meth-head and his wife is leaving him. This really sucks.

@Tom - Hope you find the perfect music to compliment your pain meds

@Aura - Sorry for your loss

@Al - Sounds like whisk(e)y time.

@anyone - So I am confused. Is Dan New Mike? Or was Al New Mike and that makes Dan New Al? The New Guy needs to stop moving around so much. Makes it too hard to keep up.

That really does suck big balls Al. I hope he can find a way out of the addiction.

Tom, while the surgery and recovery can't be fun, it's very good news to hear it was benign. Speedy recovery to you Sir.

Sorry to hear of your loss Aura, crossing all fingers and toes that your Mom's surgery goes very well.

@Dan: You mean THE New Guy? What's that bastard doing down in your hood already?

Yup, the very same, and apparently, drinking.

As for me, I got my lunch handed to me by a judge this morning and when 0 for 3 in front of a couple of my partners who were there on another case. :palm:

Doh

Much worse, however, I just found out that one of my good friends who has been out of work and having a hard time is a meth-head and his wife is leaving him. This really sucks.

That really sucks. I had a friend who went through a similar patch, only with crack. Luckily he came out the other end and is doing well again.

Ouch Al, when it rains.... :( Hope you and your friend find your way to better comings soon.

@Aura, best of luck to you and my condolences

@Tom, glad to hear your surgery was successful and wish you a speedy but relaxing recovery.

Ditto. Wishing you all the best!