What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Steve, sorry for your loss.

@Brent, scary stuff. Glad it turned out OK in the end, but not something I'd wish on any parent.

The above makes yesterdays minor inconvenience seem like small beans in the grand scheme of things.

Yesterday at work, thanks to the efforts of some ne'er do well's (Thievery leaves 500 Larkspur, Corte Madera customers without phone, Internet service - Marin Independent Journal) we were without outside phone lines or internet access - the Horror!

Progress was made however on our little island of technology, thanks to the lack of distractions/interruptions. A weekly conference call took on a slightly surreal aspect, with all the external parties on a webex, and our little group clustered around an iPhone on speaker mode.

Later that evening Joanne and I went to along celebrate the engagement of a fellow Brit ex-pat to a local girl. I guess some people have gotten over the loss of the colonies :)

Beer, BBQ and Live music (A local acoustic group of Dobro Slide Guitar, Fiddle, Double Bass, Drummer (brushes mostly) and Vocalist with Ukulele) - Some interesting arrangements of Brit and American tunes for the occasion. A good time was had by all; Helps that one of the organizers is a party planner.

Catching up on movies I always wanted to see... which brings me to this:

I had never seen "Clockwork Orange."

I found it a bit curious that in the movie (taking my own name and handle into account), the main character's name is Alex. Not to mention that the technique they used to punish him made him feel sick when listening to music, specifically classical, which he loved so much.

I've thought of buying a derby hat before...

... =/

I've thought of buying a derby hat before...

... =/

I've been trying to find out why those hats are called Derby on the US side of the pond. In the UK, where they were first produced in the mid 1800's they have always been called Bowler hats, after the company of hatters who invented the thing.

Anyone any idea where the name Derby came from?

I've been trying to find out why those hats are called Derby on the US side of the pond. In the UK, where they were first produced in the mid 1800's they have always been called Bowler hats, after the company of hatters who invented the thing.

Anyone any idea where the name Derby came from?

Bowler hat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The derby hat was invented by William Bowler, a London hatter, and originally came as a piece of riding headwear, more practical for active sports than the high beaver hats that dominated for street wear. The bowler was called a derby by a hatter in this country who sponsored it after noting its general use at the English Derby race."

source : History of Straw hats & Felt hats ?

Bowler hat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The derby hat was invented by William Bowler, a London hatter, and originally came as a piece of riding headwear, more practical for active sports than the high beaver hats that dominated for street wear. The bowler was called a derby by a hatter in this country who sponsored it after noting its general use at the English Derby race."

source : History of Straw hats & Felt hats ?

D'you know, I looked at that darned article and totally missed that! Thanks for spotting what I'd not

hey, congrats! i like the name of the celebration, too.

i woke up a little while ago. i feel like i have malaria. i wish i could chalk it up to a hangover, but i didn't consume much alcohol last night. i guess it is malaria. i'd probably better increase the tonic consumption to combat it.

Plus the medicinal qualities of gin, zest of lemon and lime on the rocks to take away the taste of the quinine of course

'Gotcha Day' today.

A party in celebration of the anniversary of our childrens' adoption 6 years ago today! :-)

Congratulations!

I'm making beef brisket with merlot and prunes. Trying to find the right recipe for Rosh Hashanah when I will be cooking for 20.

Congrats on gotcha day to John and his very lucky kids!

I spent the second day in a row of purging and packing in our SF garage and taking the surviving crap over to Mayberry. We are clearing tge way in advance of a bathroom and garage remodel. Going to end up with a small but nice wine cellar and a record cleaning station. :prettyprincess:

Right now relaxing on the porch with what I will call Oliva & Oil for now. Pic to follow.

5.5 hours into 4.5 hours trip back from my folks' place in Maine with 1.5 more hours to go. I hate the fucking traffic. Thankfully, our daughter has been fantastic all things cconcerned.

Seven hours later, we're finally home and I've finished unpacking all the crap. Now I'm downloading all the pics from the Canon workshop as well as of the family - hopefully, there will be at least few pics that are decent (spray & pray).

Today (well yesterday by now) was the first day in a damn long time that I haven't felt life gagging me and tying me up, and then beating me senseless with a brass knuckle. It's definitely not that any of my circumstances changed. My day was just as shitty as any of the others, maybe moreso. Just a nice talk and a change in outlook in life.