What did you do today?

riceboy

Congrats to your son Mike. Good luck to him on UofF. What's he want to study?

I spent the last couple days doing a validation of a non-linear wave code I wrote for my PhD Thesis and showed that the non-linearity is a lot more important than even I thought it was. Pretty cool that the wave I'm simulating is nearly 100ft tall. This will probably get me a few sweet ass publications....

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had our annual, lame holiday party today, which is basically a rushed lunch. Everybody brings the most fattening food possible and we eat as much of it as we can before facilitating groups and having to pretend we're awake. Got stiffed by my secret Santa for the 2nd time in three years. What's up with that?

Packing for Tampa now. I'm very happy to be heading out for this weekend!!!!!

Finally got out for my first Santa gig of the season. It was just a home visit and there were only 7 kids there, but it went quite well. On my way out, some of the neighbors saw me heading for my Ford Edge (not exactly a sleigh) and intercepted me.

About then a beautiful little 6 year old girl named Abby came running out to see me. She was so excited, literally jumping up and down and completely beside herself. She inspected my outfit from head to toe and started asking tons of questions about Rudolph, the North Pole, Mrs. Claus, the elves, the sleigh, etc. She pretty much covered all of the bases. I felt like I was taking a final exam at Santa Claus School.

I gave her some candy, a small book about dinasours, an "I Believe" trinket style of necklace, and a reindeer coat button just like the ones on my coat. Then as we posed together for her mom to take cell phone pictures of us, she declared me to be the "real" Santa because I had so many sleigh bells. I patted her on the head, told her to keep being good, and to promise that she will send me her list very soon because Christmas is almost here!

The rest of the kids were fun too, but they were either too young (2 and under) or a little too old (8 to 10). They all seemed to still be believers but sometimes kids at that age can fake it. The 3-7 year-old kids are usually the most fun because they're all about Santa, like my friend Abby tonight. I don't think she'll be able to sleep for days...

Didn't bring my own camera, but I'll see if one of the moms can send me a couple of the pics they took.

Word. Time for some of the medicine. I want to be in Florida.

I was going to point out your logo had the name of a local mountain bike race series but I just realized it is the logo for the series.... :palm:

I donated my old viola to the local high school. Hopefully one of the little snots enjoys it.

Edited by Dreadhead

Supervised part 1 of a pretty detailed concrete slab poor, then packed my car for a micro meet in Austin this weekend. :D

hm, I also need a small slab poured :) yay, cannot wait. I wish this was a little later, as I have a surprise in the works that's not quite finished. but, who can pass up the opportunity to have Dr. Wood in da house for a day or so?

Migraine all day. Still at work.
Have you tried biofeedback? (Oversimplification: you concentrate on warming up your hands with what is effectively psychosomatism using a special kind of thermometer.) My mom had migraines for as long as I've known her. Recently, she eliminated everything from her diet that she had sensitivities to (which, for reasons I will not go into here, is quite a bit, but that's largely because she's also had stomache problems for as long as I've known her), but that's pretty drastic. She's had the most luck with the diet changes, but she had the second most amount of luck with biofeedback. It's worth a shot. You don't have to get the $50 thermometer, they have a ... $10 or $20 one that is actually better in some ways.

1) Took some speed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4045[/ATTACH]

2) Bought some beer

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4046[/ATTACH]

3) Did Some Work

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4047[/ATTACH]

All in all, big day.

post-985-12951158669401_thumb.jpg

post-985-12951158670259_thumb.jpg

post-985-12951158671259_thumb.jpg

post-985-12951158674252_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sherwood
I'll be goddamned if I can figure out how to remove that attachment. This must be how my parents feel.