The analog thread.

Hopstretch

2 hours ago, swt61 said:

Your first record was much less embarrassing than mine. I got the RCA record player/speakers combo (mod 70's blue plastic/with stand), for Christmas. I was 10, and the two records I got with it were Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii and The Chipmunks.

Those are still very good!  I was lucky to have two older brothers into music.  One was ~4.5 years older, and I got a lot of early taste from him (classic and country rock, and prog).  But over time we 3 boys each found our own niche for musical tastes....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skullguise said:

Those are still very good!  I was lucky to have two older brothers into music.  One was ~4.5 years older, and I got a lot of early taste from him (classic and country rock, and prog).  But over time we 3 boys each found our own niche for musical tastes....

I too had two older brothers, and wanted something more adult, but my Father thought that I was still a little kid. I did listen to the Elvis album a lot though. And I think my next album was Three Dog Night: Golden Biscuits. Easy there Brent! Which my oldest Brother bought for me.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, naamanf said:

Weeks? And she wonders why she can’t afford (almond) milk. 

How long  would it take you to ping-pong one?

and then use AI to generate your storefront personality / image , 

say "granola hippie chick fairfax maybury on acid arts and craft mandala dot vinyl painter photorealistic"

8c4bda41-e779-48c8-99ae-b769d5e7e065.jpeg

imagine_granola_hippie_chick_fairfax_maybury_on_acid_arts_and_craft_mandala_dot_vinyl_painter_photor_2104441377.png

Profit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 6:37 PM, Emooze said:

I think the first album I bought was Dear Science and the first and only turntable I bought was JP's old Sony PS-X7

This is about as late as a reply can get (what can I say, I don't check in as often as I used to), and this was AGES ago, so I may very well be misremembering, but I think the first turntable I bought was Ari's old PS-X5. Vintage Sony PS-X turntables seem to be made for the head-case crowd. Too bad they are a reliability nightmare (specifically with the auto functions) but boy, they sure sounded good.

I actually just replaced my rig after a brief love affair with my vinyl collection, where I remembered that I liked the activity but wasn't completely happy with my setup. Now rocking the lovely but much more trouble-free Technics SL-100C with a VM95SH into some KEFs in my living room setup. I'm sure it can get better than this but it's hard to imagine by much. Sure my high-res digital sources still probably sound better, but I still dig the romance of spinning bumpy plastic. And it's fun to spin vinyl at a party over my multi-room audio setup even if streaming vinyl over Wi-Fi feels wrong.

DSC00549.thumb.jpeg.2b12685079b79a70212f48327a6b2070.jpeg

Oh, and yeah, where some may have speaker stands, I have cat trees. The price of having pets.

(P.S. back to the topic at hand, being a relative young'un, my first record was Arcade Fire's Funeral. I will accept your judgment.)

Edited by revolink24
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Voltron said:

Some Auralex or similar foam speaker risers could be good for this setup. It would be good for the KEFs generally and also to separate all three speakers from the surface to minimize vibration on the turntable.

IMG_1933.jpeg

Ha, knew this would come up. Actually already ordered some, though it hasn’t been so much of a problem yet. There are decent enough isolation feet on the table, and the cabinet weighs hundreds of pounds, so it's pretty tough to shake it much, especially since I’m using a sub. Realistically I know at some point that I should get a separate stand for the TT.

That said, speaking of the old PS-X tables I haven’t found anything with feet as good as the gel feet that Sony used to use. 

16 hours ago, Pars said:

Curious as to what the cabinet is if you can remember. I could use something like that.

I’ll warn you it isn’t cheap 😬 furniture prices went wild since I bought this. 

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/storage-and-entryway/media-cabinets/hudson-media-cabinets-with-wood-base

Edited by revolink24

On 12/16/2023 at 2:18 PM, Grahame said:

I went to a Jazz bar in Aomori, Japan that just happened to have a gorgeous JBL Paragon with a bunch of sources including vinyl. An absolute highlight. If that bar was near me it would definitely be draining my wallet.

Edited by revolink24
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grahame said:

"17 YEARS OF VINYL GROWTH:"

🚀🚀🚀

"ONLY HALF OF U.S. VINYL BUYERS OWN A RECORD PLAYER:"

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

https://www.billboard.com/pro/vinyl-album-sales-rise-growth-slowing/ 

Yeah the bubble is gonna burst soon 🤦‍♂️

(which is fine because when it does I am buying all the good shit for bottom of market value lol)