The analog thread.

Hopstretch

• 2 weeks later...

Cheaper (not better) -- I used U-haul small boxes to move my 2k+ collection from my last place. 

Book-Box

Since they are 12^3. I packed them in one way and stretched the box out slightly to fit. I have not noticed an issue with any of the pressings since. Note -- I did not use a moving company.. and I personally moved the record boxes myself as well only stacking them 2 high (no friends or family were trusted)...

I just noticed a new box that they have 

Small-Moving-Box

16-3/8" x 12-5/8" x 12-5/8"

Gives a little bit more room... (I would have used these if they were available at the time)

But none give the safely of the crate if you are not moving them yourself. Also depends on how many LP's you are talking about.

Edited by mikeymad

Yeah, that seems pretty expensive for what is essentially a milk crate.  I use boxes, but I happened to have stumbled upon a bunch that are the perfect size, and I threw them out the last move, so I have no idea what I'm doing next time.  I suppose I'll take a couple records to a box store and see which one fits best.  And IIRC, you don't want cubical, you only want square and the third dimension to go about 6 - 10 inches (depending on your strength and the strength of the people helping you -- I had some out-of-shape people helping me, so I tried to make smaller loads)...much less the strength of the boxes.  

link

You're going to put them on shelves once you get there, right?

Oh, and yeah, I totally broke down and bought the purple turntable.

Some more record listening/sorting..

A nice Brahms set.. I liked it and will keep it.. good performance of #3 and good dynamics on the recording..

5bGG395.jpg

Changing Gears a bit with Voodoo Suite - I am a little torn on this one, not the greatest recording or condition - but it is sure interesting. May stick around for a bit.

LWi2Kjd.jpg

This was a little bit of a find for me - This early Diahann Carroll (59) record turned out to be really enjoyable and well done.

tqJu0OM.jpg

This BTO was in just too bad of shape - got it a long time ago from a friend that did not take care of LP's.. gone...

7VR4qSp.jpg

Getting into the 80's for a bit... This Noise Works from Australia was pretty good. Kind of a .38 special vibe with other stuff thrown in - It was well recorded and was well played - but nothing caught me on the album. Not that it was boring - just not inspiring to listen to again for me

iw5Wx7k.jpg

ooph - way too 80's. Not a real instrument in the house. And these were the Mixes. Did not make it to the B side.

iIH2y2I.jpg

I don't care what you say - I like me some Mr. Mister. On the better side of the 80's for me.

JfzlDrD.jpg

I remember liking the Outfield, but didn't know this much. This Trio from UK has some U2 features to them. But I found myself knowing every song. I must have listened to it more than I thought back in the day.

y022isd.jpg

An older recording. Just does not have the life and liveliness that I really want in this show. Thanks Amoeba I will not see that $4.95 again..

55HX3dV.jpg

A live show (show 2). That was pressed for broadcast. It is hosted by Jim Ladd. Good recording of a German show - just a little too compressed - and rolled off at the high end. But as a Yes Fan. It is nice to have in the set. (It says to return after broadcast - I will do that as soon as I broadcast it)

dI65CLZ.jpg

Know all the songs - like all the songs.. Thought - old crappy pressing, will not hold up.. Wrong - it sounds really good. Turns out to be an original pressing - and a good one. Record was not taken care of - but should clean up well in the VPI. looking forward to listening to on main rig.

uIutrkl.jpg

What they use to sell as an 'import' - This bootleg Genesis has some good performances on it , but it is just not recorded well enough to listen to much more. That being said I did listen to 4 sides (you have to guess which ones)..

jIxrIfz.jpg

• Like 2

Got my first Vinyl Me release yesterday. Very impressed with it over all. Packaging was secure. it came with the album, a mini poster, a sticker and the cocktail recipe. The album itself was a 2xLP in a delightful if-pepto-bismol-was-green color.

61BIFLLl.jpg

The record itself was definitely on the light side but played just fine, no issues with my copy. Anyone else get theirs yet?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I had a Musical Fidelity X-LP2 (the dual mono one -- in two completely different tubes, even) somewhere that I can't find, so I need a phono pre that's only US$100 or US$200 so that I can get my rig started until I find it (hopefully next move) -- any recommendations?  Any of the DJ ones that people would recommend, like the Art or the Rolls VP9?  My absolute upper limit is US$275, at which point I'd get the Bellari VP130, but I'm seeing a lot of Cambridge and Pro-Ject and even Rega (if I use the mini A2D and a USB DAC, no?), I'm figuring one of those have got to be good, no?

Bellari/Rolls VP29?

Does anyone have a cheap phono preamp for Moving Coil cartridge they'd sell me?

I was going to have my Benz Micro Red L Moving Coil Cart swapped back to the Ortofon Blue M2 that same with my NAD555, so I could use my MM preamp, but the Soundshop says that the connectors on the wires are too fragile to do another cartridge swap.

I've seen several good deals come up to people that spoke up, and since I've been silent I missed out on them. So, if anyone takes pity on me, PM me please.