The analog thread.

Hopstretch

Congrats on the new cart!

Technics seems to use the Stevenson alignment points.

Totally different from a Baerwald/Lofgren alignment, and IMO much more better.

If you want to fine-tune it, you can print Stevenson protractors from Vinylengine. I have heard mixed reviews of the Techincs gauge - although that may be because the Technics gauge does not follow Baerwald and when people put it on their generic protractors (almost always Baerwald) to test it does not line up...

http://www.vinylengine.com/protractor-user-guide.shtml

Sweet, thanks! Sounds great now, but I'll run the hi fi news test record eventually just to see. If I'm unhappy with the results I'll try out that protractor.

The technics gauge may not be loved by some because it relies so heavily on "eyeing it". Its basically one point alignment: set 52mm overhang then square in the headshell.

But really all alignment methods come down to "eyeing it" in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

Pioneer created Technics as a "high end" brand to overcome limitations of their name much like Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infinity, or Honda/Acura. 

They certainly could have made it cheaper than a knock-off, but they should also have all of the parts and knowledge to make it better than a 1200. Or exactly the same as its always been. 

Lots of discussion at SH over this table. They are trying to decide if its truly a reborn 1200 or if its a modification of one of those chinese usb tables. They are also getting really angry with each other.

For a bunch of Beatles fans the Hoffman forum is one of the angrier places on the internet.

• Like 3

lots of listening....

I was not expecting to keep this recording - but the 7th really did capture me - mono but I am fine with that....

WY0XBjS.jpg

Just too good of a performance and recording to consider purging.. worthy...

C6y5NVF.jpg

Historically good but not great and recording not up to snuff to listen to.

wg2x2y7.jpg

Another boxed set that I thought was throw away... wrong - No.22 captured great... (along with the others)

JrqeOpR.jpg

Another I never expected to keep - these guys from the 1800's know what they are doing - recording is good - but everything else is there in spades. 

qfsTllJ.jpg

Fun with the insides as well..

YBUakB8.jpg

What is this? and where did it come from? .. I don't know - but it is going to stick around for a bit... (70's goodness - you may know "Just remember I love you")

MSUK6h8.jpg

Escape? - yes, yes I will... along with the rest of the tunes..

xgYZE5w.jpg

Okay... Starcastle - Fountains of Light.. 

what the actual Fuck? -- How did I have this for so long and not know that this album pretty much kicked ass? -- 1977 - Yes ripoff that I think is killer. (fan)

3gv3S7L.jpg

(fuzzy phone pics... but fun evening).... 

Edited by mikeymad
  • Like 2