And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Went to lunch with Miguel.

The waitress got all excited over his chick magnet VW. Had to take a picture with it and everything. Fortunately, the conversation was in Spanish, which I don't speak. So it was Miguel who had to try to operate some camera phone he had never seen before. (I hate it when people assume that because of my profession I must be proficient with their gear.)

Went home to feed the cats. Miguel had been talking about cafe con leche and guava pastries. So the expresso maker starting looking at me funny. The result was a cafe Cubano big enough to go stand up paddle boarding on.

Then went out to buy some spokes. Stopped at the Goodwill superstore on the way home. Now I am looking at bags of stuff and thinking that totally ripped on caffeine and sugar just possibly might not be the best way to go to the thrift store.

• Like 1

^What Steve said.

I interviewed for the position of development officer for my local planning district last night. Within an hour of the interview, they offered me the job. I think I'm going to take it. It's part-time and it's not in my field, but new challenges, blah blah blah... The pay is solidly mediocre, augmenting our current income enough to sock some away for retirement and buy the occasional modest audio upgrade without guilt. The part-time aspect is what sold me on the job though - it means I get to continue farming, renovating my house, growing a vegetable garden, spending time with my kids, heating my house with self-cut wood, and maybe even finishing my master's thesis.

Congrats! That sounds like a winning situation to me.

Got interview invite for med school #2. Someone somewhere seems to like me temporarily.

Good luck, CJ.

Two-year old daughter had a fever this week over a couple of nights. Unpleasant. Woke up this morning and mom saw a tiny white area on her tongue that wasn't there before. Mom's reaction: OMG STREP. Me: it's nothing.

She goes to work, and because I'm working at home today, I took her to the doctor this afternoon. Parking lot's a bitch, no spaces, everybody's crammed in like a motherfucker. At least the child was happy.

Waited 30 minutes. Doctor's assessment: she bit her tongue, and it's healing.

Sarcastically: "Wait, doc, it's not STREP OMG!?!?"

"Um, no. Have a nice day!"

So I guess TSA doesn't like a box full of beer in the suitcase. I wrote them a nice little note about how I spent a lot of time properly packing these limited edition beers and I would appreciate if they could repack them so they wouldn't break. They were nice enough to (sort of) repack the box (although now I have box cutter lines on the labels.) I am actually surprised that they opened up every single bottle and rewrapped them!

i-jPzZ7XV-L.jpg

i-NH9QvQj-L.jpg

i-mvxRBQv-L.jpg

I started to get some breakage a couple of weeks ago on my Santa beard, which is now in the midst of bleaching season. I had done 4 bleaching sessions, every other Sunday starting in late August, and was determined to get it right this year. But I still had 3 more sessions before I'd reach Santa white, and I was already getting damage.

Last year I had started too late (early October) and eventually suffered severe damage, such that I ended up having to patch in small bits of lace backed human hair that was cut to the appropriate length to match what was then left of my real beard. It was an enormous hassle. It took at least 3 hours to get it right to the point that I could walk out the door with a beard that looked like it was all one. Lots of twisting things around, painting in temporary white color, blasting it with hair spray. A real mess. It got to the point that I was taking neck down showers for 3 days at a time, to avoid having to re-jig the beard from scratch every day.

So the stakes are high and I honestly didn't know what to do when I started to lose 50 strands per day just a couple of weeks ago. Having nowhere else to turn besides my Nervous Nellie friends over at ClausNet, I decided to roam around from spa to spa here in Grand Cayman until I found someone, anyone, who knows more about bleaching facial hair than I do. As it turned out, that person was nowhere to be found. Quite frankly, I don't care if you've been coloring head hair for 30 years, even if you've done some serious bleaching. Facial hair is different, and much more fragile.

Although I got a lot of advice, some of which seemed to be quite good, none of it truly resonated... until I explained the whole dilemma to my girlfriend, who insisted that I do a Keratin deep conditioning treatment. It was then just a matter of buying a tub of this goo and applying it myself. No heat treatments, just a couple of handfuls of this silky smooth goop, leave it in for 10 minutes, and then rinse it out in the shower just as you would do with conditioner.

It's a miracle! Not that it worked. No, not that at all, although that might be a secondary miracle. It's a miracle that I actually trusted her enough to go with her advice over that which I had received from professional "hair people" having various levels of experience with this kind of thing. Totally non invasive, no chemicals, easy to self-apply, and inexpensive. The breakage stopped after the first treatment, and now I'm using it twice per week for maintenance.

All she said was, "Trust me, I'm a black woman with straight hair, and I've been dealing with this all of my life."

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1