And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I'll have to just limit the amount of beer I drink in a single day. It seems ok if I have a half a 12oz bottle and not ok if I have a bomber. It also depends on the beer - some tend to be much worse. I thought it was hops but I didn't have any hoppy beers on Friday. Now that you mention the outdoor allergies, it is true that I always drink beer on Fridays outdoors under a lot of trees (over a several hour period) and that is the time that I get my biggest allergies (but also the time that I drink the most beer). I wonder if outdoors+beer is the problem. I still have a tiny bit of a headache. Seems like it takes the whole weekend to totally go away. Sigh.

Finally made it to Bletchley Park, Home of the UK WWII decryption efforts that cracked the enigma code (all without the help of Jon Bon Jovi smile.png The background story of the early days of computing is interesting enough in its own right, but itn was fascinating talking to the volunteers involved in the bombe and colossus rebuild projects. It takes a certain kind of dedication to bring back to life these early computing devices from only limited and incomplete information.Plenty of details, but just to pick a few specificsThe Bombe weighed about a ton, and had its own total loss lubrication system with a two pint reservoir. They had to retool and remanufacture this from scratch. Truly impressive.How Many computing devices do you know need an oil pan under them to catch the drips.bombe_back.jpgColussus. Worlds first digital, electronic, stored programme computer. 2500 Tubes, draws 8KW.uk_bletchley_colossus_tubes.jpgcolossus2.jpgA very rewarding day for something that for 30 years was an untold story.

Edited by Grahame

I'll have to just limit the amount of beer I drink in a single day. It seems ok if I have a half a 12oz bottle and not ok if I have a bomber. It also depends on the beer - some tend to be much worse. I thought it was hops but I didn't have any hoppy beers on Friday. Now that you mention the outdoor allergies, it is true that I always drink beer on Fridays outdoors under a lot of trees (over a several hour period) and that is the time that I get my biggest allergies (but also the time that I drink the most beer). I wonder if outdoors+beer is the problem. I still have a tiny bit of a headache. Seems like it takes the whole weekend to totally go away. Sigh.

Just out of curiosity, what trees are they? Oak, sycamore? A lot of people are very allergic to these and some pine species and the pollen from these may help raise your allergy threshold.

You might consider buying a hepa filter and dustmite covers for your bedroom to give you six hours of low allergen time to offset the high allergen environment of the campus beer hall. azn.gif

They are mostly Texas live oaks. We have the hepa filter (this one) and dustmite covers for the bedroom so perhaps I need to go to sleep immediately after drinking? And who only sleeps six hours a night? wink.png

edit: I just ate lunch outside on campus... no beer but now I am a bit congested so beer is definitely not the only thing to blame.

Edited by shellylh

John, yep, my back, but mainly the shooting pains in my leg and foot again. The nurse knows my case and when she heard my voice, they squeezed me in as soon as they could. Luckily, after the first round of steroids and a pain pill, the pain has subsided quite a bit. Last time this happened, I tried to get in the office, but couldn't, as they were on vacation that week. My surgeon has now started his own practice, so this should be interesting.

It's been raining all weekend, and the rain just really fucks with me. It usually doesn't set it off like THIS, though. I'm HOPING that it's part of the nerve regeneration process. It definitely feels like a "mixed signal" thing, as even light brushes against my leg can set off pretty intense pain, while other time, someone could whack me with a stick (or thorn bush), and I would barely feel it.

**BRENT**

Sorry Brent. That blows. I sort of can relate as I had to take my wife to the Emergency room on Friday due to a mixture of her throwing up and massive back pain (she looked worse off than possibly only the last hour of childbirth). She's on the mend but still in a lot of pain.

Edited by Dreadhead

Thanks guy. I'm feeling better as of now. Not sure if it was pain meds or the steroids, or a combo, but I have been able to relax for the first time in a couple days.

Hope Mrs. DH gets better soon. Back pain is a PITA (lower back pain, at least). I hope it's nothing too serious. The Chicago and NYC (and Travel Team) crews know how gimpy I am these days. I don't wish that on anyone.

Jim, I'm thinking you may be right re: mending process. I have a feeling this could be along the lines of nerve regeneration... just a really crappy part of nerve regeneration. I'll take a week of pain every few months for added feeling below the belt in the future hands down, though.

**BRENT**