And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Have fun Grahame!

Went through the music collection this weekend and built a 60+ album playlist for the day/childcare center. Burt Bacharach & Hal David to John Zorn (with Anouar Brahem, Nat King Cole, Bon Iver, Daara J, The Civil Wars, Madeleine Peyroux, Astor Piazzolla, Harry Nilsson, Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle, Ike Quebec, Os Mutantes... you get the idea... in between). Took much longer than expected and was kinda fun to pick introductions for developing minds.

Edited by blessingx

I have no idea how we obtained it, but we have a bottle of Skin-so-Soft and it does work pretty well. Citronella candles help a lot. Something lemon-eucalyptus based sounds like a good idea. I've always been a little leery of DEET.

Dolphins at Houston - the first Sunday Dolphins game of the year was today. That means Sundays way full of work. Our (brilliant) photographer sent the seminal picture of what it means to be a Dolphin. It's young Ryan Tannehill writhing on the ground after a sack, holding his crotch. Yes, after all the rest of the indignities, he got kicked in the nuts. Priceless.

Am now running SMART surface tests on one of my hard drives. Just before work, I got a pop-up that said: "Hard drive failing.." That's a little upsetting. I copied my home directory to the data drive double plus quick. The drive didn't throw any errors in th short test. The long one is running now. Hopefully was just a false alert.

Setup Ubuntu to run off a flashdrive to use Xournal on my (digitizer) tablet (Motion Computing LE1700). I am so sick of Windows so if I can handle using Xournal instead of Windows Journal, I am going to make the switch. Why can't Apple just make a convertible Air/digitizer tablet? That would be the ultimate! OK, maybe an Air is asking a bit too much... maybe a convertible MBP. [Also, I know about the Modbook and I don't want another slate tablet.]

Hope it works well, Jacob. I also developed allergies a bit later in life, though I haven't been formally tested....thankfully they're not horrible, and OTC meds have been mostly OK. My Dr. did prescribe Flonase once for me too, but it made minimal impact above and beyond the OTC so I stopped.

But bottom line, hope you're cleared up soon!

The trick with sinus infections (I get them all the time), is to keep it clear. Not just through meds like Sudafed and Afrin, but just plain blasting the congestion out with something like Simply Saline.

But of coure, it's a double-edged sword -- you don't want to blast the insides of your sinuses so bad that they become inflamed -- that's counterproductive. Be gentle.

started taking flonase, today. i've had horrible nasal congestion for about 5 weeks, now (started as soon as i got to Maine and never went away). Afrin and Sudafed worked at first, so i was able to make it through my honeymoon. smile.png i think it started as allergies, and then became an infection. the antibiotics i was given 10 days ago helped with the petri dish i had in my head, but didn't help the congestion. i took my first flonase dose a couple hours ago, and things immediately improved a little bit, and have been slowly improving since. i understand that it takes at least 24 hours for it to really start kicking in, with bad congestion, and this has been baaaaddddd. my mother developed allergies later in life, so perhaps that has happened to me. i hope not, as i've been pretty miserable.

I use Fluticasone propionate, which is just the generic version of Flonase. And it is a life saver for me. With only Claritin D I had massive congestion and spent many sleepless nights feeling like I was drowning in my own congestion. The Flonase has made it so I don't need any other allergy meds other than an occasional spray decongestant. So I hope the Flonase does the trick for you. My biggest side effect has been occasional crusty nostrils and a rare nosebleed.

Edited by Absorbine_Sr

May have found only bacon in Paris

post-545-13473869680725_thumb.jpg

At M&S on Champs Elyse smile.png

You're likely to find the only beef and onion crisps at Marks & Spencer too, but they are tasty nonetheless. Didn't I tell you about the absence of bacon in Paris?

Lack of bacon was one of the hardest things when I lived in Paris. You can get lardons or poitrine, but neither is smoked (the back bacon in your photo isn't smoked either). It's weird that bacon hasn't become popular as the French know good food.