And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Fuck, just found out that one of the tweeters on my Quad 12L actives died. :palm: These speakers have been nothing but trouble since the beginning. I wonder if these were originally refurbs. One of the first ones I got was so noisy I had to switch it out with another one (the one whose tweeter died). Sigh. Does anyone perhaps need one working Quad 12L active (cherry wood).

Fuck, just found out that one of the tweeters on my Quad 12L actives died. facepalm.png These speakers have been nothing but trouble since the beginning. I wonder if these were originally refurbs. One of the first ones I got was so noisy I had to switch it out with another one (the one whose tweeter died). Sigh. Does anyone perhaps need one working Quad 12L active (cherry wood).

Were these from Lanemart?

percentile. each section is out of 15. there is also a writing section where i got a T (99%) but it is being thrown out of the test in january and schools don't care for it.

all the schools i had applied to require balanced scores. a 6 on a biological sciences puts me on the auto screened out list (rejection list) for every single one of them even though my overall score is 86th percentile.

Edited by crappyjones123

I'm going to use my Audioengine A5 for now and probably get some Adam A3x or F5 in the future to replace the Quads. I've wanted to get some front ported speakers anyways. I could use the single working Quad L2A in our guest bedroom in mono (with a stereo to mono adapter and it would sound pretty damn good) but pretty much nobody uses that room so it seems like a waste. I was thinking of selling it on ebay or audiogon or HF? Which do you think would be less of a hassle and which do you think would be more likely to find a buyer (could be someone who needs one because one of theirs broke or someone to use it in mono). How much do you think I should try and sell it for? [i bought the set from lanemart for $645 + 50 shipping 2.5 years ago.] Don't know what I'm going to do with the broken one except I do have a cheap bass guitar and no bass amp... so there is that.

my last test score was a 14 (ps), 13(v), 15 (bs). but that was 6 years ago and all med schools only take scores from the past 3 years.

imagine having only had a year of statistics and being given ama journal papers to read and answer questions on. that was my bio section. the 2 years of bio i had did not prepare me for what was on the test i took for bio (6/7 passages were from research papers in immunology/histology/embryology).

the test is prescaled given the difficulty of the questions. the scale does not depend on how students do on the test.

Edited by crappyjones123

The project my students do in introductory biostatistics is to present and analyze the statistics from a research paper of their choosing. I am even happier now that I have them do that. Oh and in general the statistics in most AMA journal papers that I have read are not all that.

Look at it as a learning experience and start reading some journal articles.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the broken one except I do have a cheap bass guitar and no bass amp... so there is that.
Uh, no. It's bi-amped. I mean, yes, you have two amps in there, but no, I wouldn't use it as a bass amp. (I know you meant the amps, not the speaker part of it, but I still wouldn't.)
...could be someone who needs one because one of theirs broke or someone to use it in mono...
Or sell the pair as a fixer upper. "needs tweeter or tweeter amp (tweeter is busted)"

I would still contact lanemart and ask them what it would take to refurbish it -- if it's less than US$50, it's worth it, just because you'll get > US$50 more for it on eBay. Of course, most of that would be shipping, so maybe US$100?

Fuck, just found out that one of the tweeters on my Quad 12L actives died. facepalm.png These speakers have been nothing but trouble since the beginning. I wonder if these were originally refurbs. One of the first ones I got was so noisy I had to switch it out with another one (the one whose tweeter died). Sigh. Does anyone perhaps need one working Quad 12L active (cherry wood).

I'm sure you could send them to a DIYer to see if they can be fixed, or the amp replaced. Sometimes these sorts of things can be surprisingly simple.

I agree Shelly.

Did the tweeter go out all of the sudden and/or did it squeal like a little piggy?

If you're lucky it's just a bad connection.

Since the speaker's pretty worthless as it is right now, you might as well have someone open her up and at least see what kind of amps are in it. If one of the amps is cooked you might be able to just have that board replaced for fairly cheap and then you could sell the pair and get the Adams that you want.

I received an iPad 2 today from work. Spent about two hours restoring it (slightly used it seems), jailbreaking it, securing it, and playing around with some apps and such. It really is fairly straight forward and smooth to work with, I'm looking forward to trying out some of the iOS games and not having to deal with some of the worse ports of them Android has gotten. I'm honestly not sure what to do with this thing though with my laptop and smartphone around. Maybe I'll see who I can find via facetime.

I agree Shelly.

Did the tweeter go out all of the sudden and/or did it squeal like a little piggy?

If you're lucky it's just a bad connection.

Since the speaker's pretty worthless as it is right now, you might as well have someone open her up and at least see what kind of amps are in it. If one of the amps is cooked you might be able to just have that board replaced for fairly cheap and then you could sell the pair and get the Adams that you want.

It didn't squeal, there was just no noise coming out of the tweeter when I put my ear up to it after I turned it on. I guess you are right that it could be a bad connection but I am not so sure I want to go shipping it all over the county trying to figure it out (the speaker is heavy and I'm sure it will be at least $30 each way to ship it). I'm also a little worried about opening it up and looking around in it too much myself for risk of electrocuting myself. Unfortunately, no DIYers in Houston. sad.png

Uh, no. It's bi-amped. I mean, yes, you have two amps in there, but no, I wouldn't use it as a bass amp. (I know you meant the amps, not the speaker part of it, but I still wouldn't.)

Uh oops, I already hooked up the bass guitar to the bad amp and speaker to test it. I didn't have a preamp hooked up (just bass guitar directly to RCA input) so the input level was really low. Think I might have broken it more? I know that you are not supposed to do that in general but I thought why not since it is broked already.

The good news is that guitar center has a $100 off $500 right now and they have the A3x in stock here.

Edited by shellylh