And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Yeah, that's especially true in the DC area, lots of over-inflated sense of entitlement around here. She just liked to tell it that way. I think the important thing is that they were both douchebags, low on survival instinct. 

And I should add that my statement says as much about my powers of observation as it does about anything else -- I tend to mostly notice the douchebags.  

We had an Atlanta Fall mini-meet yesterday and I brought the KGSSHV & SR007/009 to the meet along as Doug's DSHA-2.  Folks really love the gears.  One guy commented that my KGSSHV Carbon was bright (partly to blame b/c of the OPPO HA-1) so I told him that it isn't that too bright bright.  Found out later that he was driving his SR007 with SRM-717.  No wonder he found my combo "bright" given that the SRM-717 is known as just about the darkest sounding Stax amp out there.

IMG_3026[1].JPG

IMG_3028[1].JPG

No drag racing, pics of celebs, and comedy...just pure listening pleasure with friends.  Note, Brent was missing in action.

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

I gave a short presentation today to a group of about 150 employees at MUFG (Bank of Tokyo-Mitsuishi UFJ), which was formerly UBS here in Cayman. They were having an employee appreciation day, hosted in a large theatre room at Camana Bay. So it was great timing. I had 10 minutes at the very beginning of what promised to be a fun day away from the office for them. 

The idea was to promote the MBA program at the college I teach at, but it so happens that I've also been their corporate Santa Claus for many years, so it was kind of interesting to talk about the bleaching process (which I've just begun and am a bit of a ginger at the moment) and then to watch people put two and two together. Reading their faces, it was ike "Oh ya!!! Now I see it!" Then right back into the details about our curriculum and the technology that we use in the classroom.

The good news is that we'll have at least 6 new students entering the program this Fall quarter and potentially several more. The response was incredible. Lots of great questions and then follow up emails that I've been dealing with all afternoon long. Obviously it's very well supported by the company as well. At least 90% of the people in the room had bachelor's degrees, and probably 60% of them are expats. Basically, all young working professionals. So this is a chance for them to pick up a graduate degree on someone else's nickel while they're also enjoying living in a foreign country.

Now I'm energized and really I'm looking forward to doing more of these kinds of presentations because the corporate audience has been terribly overlooked in our marketing efforts. I'm not usually energized by much anymore, so this is actually a good thing.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Wayne, need someone to come out and scare people of cyber crime? :)

Hey, that sounds good. I'm just happy to be giving a shit about something. Anything sometimes.

I've been quasi-retired now for 13 years (since leaving the 9 to 5) and have been involved with a lot of things, but nothing full time. At this small college, I've always taught several of the undergrad accounting courses and a couple of MBA courses each year as well. But usually it's just 2 nights per week. Get in, do your thing, get out. Deal with students but little else around the place.

But finally this year (for the first time in 33 years), I've actually taken 3 consecutive quarters off from teaching and feel refreshed in that regard. I'll be teaching in the Fall quarter again in October, and am really looking forward to it. Oddly!  Batteries charged again, type of thing.

In the meantime, I've become much more active than ever on the college's board of trustees and am kind of surprising myself on the admission side, and then also on corporate fund raising. It's a totally different way of looking at higher education, really more from the "sell" side of things as opposed to production (as in teaching and advising students).

Don't think I'd ever want to be a full-time academic administrator, don't get wrong!  It's still about the classroom for me.  But I'm finding (and it might be an age thing) that going out and actively recruiting both students and corporate donations is making me feel helpful and useful, which has always been the reward in teaching. 

If nothing else, this branching out process is making me feel more personally invested in the place. I think as a long-standing adjunct professor you can kind of become a bit detached and worry only about your own classes and not much else in terms of the bigger picture. So I think that's where it's hitting home with me, just that I can be useful in other ways.

We just deposited a cashier's check for $500,000 as a donation from HSBC (biggest ever for the college) and I was heavily involved in all of those discussions as well.  Lots and lots of lunches with all sorts of other potential corporate sponsors as well, so it's an ongoing process.

Just really weird to suddenly discover new interests and things that somewhat motivate me professionally after years of kind of kicking back and lazing around. Like I say, giving a shit about something again feels kind of cool.

• Like 2

The following snippets of conversation and thoughts happened:

"Put this on.  It opens in the front."
"In the front?"
"Yes, in the front.  Take off your shoes and socks and pants.  Leave your underwear on."

"Lie down here."

"I'm going to raise this, for support."
(does so)
"Is that better?"
(I rearrange myself to be more comfortable)
"Is that okay?"
"Yes."

"Turn on your right side.  So that your right leg is sideways."
(I turn my leg sideways without completely turning on my side.)
"Is that okay?"
"Yes, that's fine."

"I'm going to have to really get in there."

(my, that goo is hot, a lot warmer than I thought it'd be)

(now it's running down my leg)

(I think it's K-Y Jelly)

"I'm going to press down on your thigh, like this."  (makes fist)

"Try to relax"

(giggles, tenses up involuntarily)
"What's wrong?"
"It tickles."

"I'm not seeing anything.  Don't worry, nothing's wrong, that's perfectly normal."

"Now let's do the other side."

"No, don't wipe it all off..."

"Okay, I'm finished, but just stay like that for a minute, I want someone else to look at this."
(I was on my left side, with my right leg in front of my left leg, trying to keep the left leg relaxed for several minutes...it was rather awkward, but now I have a little bit of sympathy for those ...erm...models)

...So, pop quiz:  was I modeling for a director, or having a sonogram taken of my legs?