Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

I can understand Dreadhead's frustration, but mate, you don't need to be so sarcastic referring to him in the way you did. He's a gentleman and even gentlemen make mistakes or can't attend things at some point.

You are right! the quotation was more of a quotation but in retrospect came off far more sarcastically than intended. I apologize for the that personal attack even if it was not intended to be personal to Craig.

That said my beef with the way he does business is entirely valid as far as I'm concerned. He's in business and earning a rather healthy fee for it so I expect service for it. The outbid occurred at 11am Japan time which I believe leaves quite a bit of work day to tell me that it I have been outbid. Craid is definitely a gentleman to deal with and so are many other people out there in this world it does not mean that they run their business well.

I really am very appreciative of the detailed explanation Craig gave here and in private but I will still never do business with them and I hope that the business model/site automation is improved soon (which it sounds like it will be).

Again I apologize for the personal attack.

Edited by Dreadhead

As one of the people affected by this auction I just wanted to add that I completely agree with Chris in that a timely outbid notice was not too much to expect. I don't see automated outbid notices as being a difficult thing to add to the website at all, but in saying that my day job is at a software development house where financial systems are our day-to-day business so I may have a distorted view here.

Whether the items will come up again soon in another auction or whether other factors were involved is neither here nor there in a business transaction. While we may not have raised our bid had we known of the outbid, we would have still had the option of doing so. As it turned out we had lost hours before the auction even finished. I'm largely unconcerned about missing out on the 717, but that's not really the point.

I do have sympathy for Craig's position too and appreciate his acknowledgement of the problem and upfront attitude. If anything his response makes me think more of him. I think too that there was an element of bad luck involved on our part in that this just happened to be the auction where parallel bidding really caused serious problems.

For my part I accept Craig's apology and I won't personally rule out any future dealings with kuboTEN. Just not until the new website is online. ;)

I dealt with Craig a few times and it was always trouble free. He also researched things for me at no cost and I appreciate this very much. With this said I do expect their site to get better and send outbid confirmation. However at this time I place the max bid and walk away since I figure that is the best way to make sure I get something and if I don't too bad.

I really hope Craig improves his site as he is a pleasure to deal with.

Yahoo Japan isn't as simple as ebay when you live outside of Japan. Most sellers will not ship outside the country so you have to have a go-between, and that person may also be acting on behalf of others in the same auction. That's essentially what KuboTEN was doing here.

I don't see why you would put in one bid, then later put in a higher bid in this situation.

Biggie.

I don't see why you would put in one bid, then later put in a higher bid in this situation.

Biggie.

I wouldn't, but some do. My brother for example is only happy if he wins the auction and may end up making multiple bids.

I entered into a bidding war a few times within the Rinkya system and they have a page which says that what Rinkya bidder is currently in the lead, with numerous user names to allow that.

Btw. welcome Craig. :)

I'd also like to take a minute and thank both Nelson Pass and Jon Ver Halen (Lowther America) who have been exceptionally generous with their time in helping me with the Cicada issue. Without their help I'd have no options right now. Not that it was ever in doubt but they are both class acts.

I entered into a bidding war a few times within the Rinkya system and they have a page which says that what Rinkya bidder is currently in the lead, with numerous user names to allow that.

Btw. welcome Craig. :)

What's the price difference between Rinkya and Craig's outfit? I've had excellent results with Rinkya and don't really mind the costs, especially if you keep abreast of their sales and promos. Plus, with Rinkya you can use your own Yahoo Japan account, which is very nice.

What's the price difference between Rinkya and Craig's outfit? I've had excellent results with Rinkya and don't really mind the costs, especially if you keep abreast of their sales and promos. Plus, with Rinkya you can use your own Yahoo Japan account, which is very nice.

I did the research just for you. :P Rinkya charges a 15$ base fee and then 1$ on every 1000Yen with a 20$ minimum on those combined. At the current exchange rate that is a 9.3% fee (was closer to 10% when the Yen was weaker). KuboTen has a 10$ base fee and then 7% off the purchase price. You have to pay with non CC-based funds though or this jumps to 10%.

With the specials running, Rinkya can be cheaper but the insane shipping charges (always twice what it actually costs to ship) and the fact that they threw out some of my Stax boxes means I won't use them any more. They were fine to begin with, crammed multiple items into huge boxes but then they started to doublebox everything and with perhaps 3 Stax amps in each shipment, it got very expensive, very fast. I then sent them an email and asked them to stop this since the packages got here in less then a week with zero damage time after time. Next package shows up and they had thrown out all of the Stax boxes which I know were included in the auctions. They even left the Styrofoam supports around a 717 just to add insult to injury. :mad: