What did you do today?

riceboy

That sucks Jay, I hope he makes as full a recovery as possible.

Me: went to the polls at 7:15, unlike every election they've held since I moved here the polls didn't open till 8. Returned home and hung out with Lily for 45 minutes which was nice. Returned to the polls, voted, SSDD thereafter.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the best care package would be to surround him with positive energy and thoughts and visit him as often and long as possible even if he is out of it. assuming he can hold down solid food and it is approved by his docs, anything other than hospital food would probably go over exceedingly well. i wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Got up at 5:30 am to go line up in the cold outside my kids' preschool for a few hours with the other suckers pushy parents. First-come-first-served may be a fair way of dealing with enrollment pressures, but it's a pain in the ass. Stay happy, don't breed.

My dad always told me "Don't have kids. And if you do have kids, don't have girls or boys, have elephants". My wife and I decided elephants would be a little unreasonable, so we have cats and birds instead. :P

Back on subject, I went on my first dual sport motorcyle ride Sunday through Tuesday (yesterday). It was from Santa Barbara to the Lake Isabella area and back.

Weather was supposed to be good, but we got into rain and freezing rain early in the ride at the 7K foot level. God was it cold. Fortunately it never rained/snowed hard at all so nobody got wet. After a couple of hours, we got to the dirt. I did well before throwing it down in some clay mud. No damage was done to me or the bike and we continued. The rest of the ride was on fairly easy dirt roads. In the high desert, we had to deal with extremely high, gusty crosswinds. I'd guess it would gust to at least 70 mph. For the first time in my life, I leaned a motorcycle left to turn right! :eek: We got to Kernville around 4 pm. It was getting dark and, because of the wind and cold, decided to motel it there rather than camp. That decision made me very happy.

Monday dawned bright and clear. We could see that the snow level was fairly low the night before and I was even happier that we stayed in the motel. We ate a quick breakfast, packed up the bikes and headed out for the day's riding. They took me up higher and taught me how to crash in the snow. I did well at first, but the snow got deeper and after the first crash, things went downhill. I crashed/fell four times in the snow before we got back down to dry roads. Then, on the way to the campsite in Keyesville, I managed to crash again at about 25 mph. That really took it out on me. We set up camp and the other four guys did some more riding. I'd had enough for the day. :(

Normally, I'm not big on camping but had a good time Monday night. It got pretty cold and I had to keep my head in the sleeping bag to keep warm. This was in addition to wearing long underwear, socks and a watch cap. There was lots of frost on the ground in the morning. That explains why I was cold.

I was sore as hell and made it clear that I needed an easy day. We packed up, stopped for breakfast and went home. We mostly stuck to paved roads and the little dirt we did was very easy. Fortunately, there were no more incidents. Got home at 3 pm and just left everything on the bike. I was too tired to do anything. The tent didn't dry out before we left so I have to unpack it and dry it out today.

I'm a very experience street rider, but a beginning dirt rider so I expected a good challenge for this ride. Boy did I underestimate it. :palm: I did have a good time and will continue to dual sport, but not until my muscles and jammed thumbs heal. The Suzuki DRZ-400 is a really good dual sport bike and it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Through all my crashes/falls nothing got broken. Here are some clickable pictures taken by one of the other riders.

th_DSCN5800.jpg

th_isabellaxport28.jpg

th_isabellaxport31.jpg

th_isabellaxport32.jpg

th_isabellaxport35.jpg

th_isabellaxport36.jpg

th_isabellaxport38.jpg

th_isabellaxport40.jpg

Had a quiet day until 6:30 pm. Then a friend called and told me about a big fire he could see from where he lived. Then we had to evacuate. Fortunately, we found a place for the 4 parrots and a different place for the 3 cats. Now we're at a hotel. Hopefully tomorrow the danger will be gone and our house will still be there.

Had a quiet day until 6:30 pm. Then a friend called and told me about a big fire he could see from where he lived. Then we had to evacuate. Fortunately, we found a place for the 4 parrots and a different place for the 3 cats. Now we're at a hotel. Hopefully tomorrow the danger will be gone and our house will still be there.

I was thinking about you while watching the coverage on the plane to Atlanta this morning. Good luck!

I'm in Pensacola waiting for my delayed flight to Atlanta. Hopefully I will make it in time to get my connection to Tampa.

You were in Miami and didn't let me know.

We were in Miami for the annual wildlife conference at the downtown Hyatt. Between meeting committments and our son there wasn't really any time for anything else. Besides it seems as if you were jet-setting around yourself quite a bit the last few days. I always get annoyed when my grown-up life intrudes on my hobbies :mad:.

went in to work at 8, to start a server migration. got it to a point where i could stop at around 2:00 (long data transfer, i'm monitoring from home), then came home. fun fun fun.

That sounds like fun, baby sitting a server over the weekend. I hope it transfers all the data flawlessly.