What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that is puling me to the D40 is that it is smaller and lighter than the D90. Guess I just need to get out and hold them in my hand to find out which feels best.

Good plan.

Personally, I find that the smaller bodies are difficult to hold stable at longer focal lengths (I use the 18-200) but if you never go longer than the 18-105 then you will probably be OK.

As to the D90 vs. D40

First, definitely get them in your hands. I bought a D200 sight unseen a while back, and it did not fit with me at all. Even my big bass player hands didn't like it, so out it went.

I started on a D40, and gradually became dissatisfied with a few things about it. One was that it couldn't bracket exposures, and I like to shoot HDR often, and the other was that it was hard to get a good feel for white balance off the screen. The D90 brackets three exposures, which is better than none and worse than 7, and the screen is very nice, if not terrifically more helpful.

I got the 90 because the 40 didn't do what I wanted. If the 40 bracketed exposures, however, I'd probably still shoot it over the 90 and spend the extra money on lenses.

Ah, too many choices. Any thoughts on Nikon vs Canon? Maybe I should just start a new thread. Guess I better start by heading out to the store (cringe).

I went with Nikon, but it was mainly because I was already invested in the Nikon system. I bought a D50 and all of my older Nikon lenses and flashes work on the D50 body. Both brands make fine cameras.

I'm trying to stay with Canon since I have at least one decent Canon lens. In addition, it will be a less noticeable transition. I have a 20D that I will be selling once I upgrade. While video is not essential, it would be nice which is why I have an interest in a 7D. I can get a nice condition, low actuation 5D mkI for $1,000 locally, which is tempting. I haven't seen any used 7D's yet so that may keep me from going for one at $1,700 new. The 50D is still a consideration.

I first headed over to the local Ritz camera, it was no longer there. Not really knowing the area very well anymore, I decided to go to Best Buy. I waited forever to have someone open the DSLR case. The Canon 50D was too big, the XTi was too small and the Nikon D90 just right (well, something like that). After looking at those three, the sales women shut the case on me and said she had to do something else. :(

After all this fun, I decided to head over to the local winery (small but decent) and taste some red wine (Petit Syrah, Zin, Cab, Cab Franc). Now I am having some of mom's homemade chili. :)

Did Santa stuff all day with 3 of my g/f's younger sisters serving as Mrs. Claus, Miss Claus and Elf. She actually has 4 younger sisters, 2 of whom are busy training for the Olympics (400 and 800 meter dash). They're all so fit as compared to Santa! Forgot the blasted camera, but I'll try to get some pics to post over the next couple of days. I'm pretty worn down, so I've decided to have my cookies and milk and then take a long nap until tomorrow. There has been light rain here all day, so another consideration is to give due respect to the "dry clean only" tags on Santa's expensive suit.

Did Santa stuff all day with 3 of my g/f's younger sisters serving as Mrs. Claus, Miss Claus and Elf. She actually has 4 younger sisters, 2 of whom are busy training for the Olympics (400 and 800 meter dash). They're all so fit as compared to Santa! Forgot the blasted camera, but I'll try to get some pics to post over the next couple of days. I'm pretty worn down, so I've decided to have my cookies and milk and then take a long nap until tomorrow. There has been light rain here all day, so another consideration is to give due respect to the "dry clean only" tags on Santa's expensive suit.

HoHoHo! Santa can make any excuse he wants for a little R&R, although I would prefer my cookies with a little B&B or some such. ;)

Hiking in Purisima Creek Redwoods Regional Open Space. 37.4493,-122.3422 - Google Maps

Friendly advice: never where Vibram FiveFingers for hiking.

:blink: Erm, isn't that one of their touted benefits, oh true believer?

Acted like a 12 yr old. Spent the day riding water slides and various tube rides at the water park here at Atlantis. I love being a kid.

Awesome, dude. Can 12 year olds drink in Atlantis? Cause that would make it all the better...

Jeez, I got drinking on my mind. Better get going to JP's to pick up the Amarra Model 4 so's I can's get my hi-rez on over Christmas. :cool: And for a little beer drinking and music listening since I'm there. :P

Shellylh, as someone who carries his D70 around about 1/20th of the time he did his earlier Canon G1, due to size/weight, I'm considering giving up dSLRs. Although it may be too small for you, the micro 4 thirds, especially the Pana GF1, is really interesting in my book. You may want to give a look if you haven't so far.

gf1-front-small.jpg

blink: Erm, isn't that one of their touted benefits, oh true believer?
For some reason "feeling" the ground works better on sidewalks and dirt paths over sharp rocks and handball courts. They do work pretty well when unintentionally "surfing" down a muddy hillside though. Then again maybe I just need these.

You know it! Enjoying a mojito in the room now as Lily falls asleep. Tomorrow promises more of the same.

Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

Shellylh, as someone who carries his D70 around about 1/20th of the time he did his earlier Canon G1, due to size/weight, I'm considering giving up dSLRs. Although it may be too small for you, the micro 4 thirds, especially the Pana GF1, is really interesting in my book. You may want to give a look if you haven't so far.

gf1-front-small.jpg

Gene has the GF-1 in addition to his DSLR. I should have checked it out at the meet.

I first headed over to the local Ritz camera, it was no longer there. Not really knowing the area very well anymore, I decided to go to Best Buy. I waited forever to have someone open the DSLR case. The Canon 50D was too big, the XTi was too small and the Nikon D90 just right (well, something like that). After looking at those three, the sales women shut the case on me and said she had to do something else. :(

After all this fun, I decided to head over to the local winery (small but decent) and taste some red wine (Petit Syrah, Zin, Cab, Cab Franc). Now I am having some of mom's homemade chili. :)

Not so fast. What vineyards did you sample and what were your impressions? Enquiring minds want to know........:indra: Actually a great decision on Best Buy;they suck, their opinions suck, and their service sucks.

Other than that it is a great retail outlet.

Shellylh, as someone who carries his D70 around about 1/20th of the time he did his earlier Canon G1, due to size/weight, I'm considering giving up dSLRs. Although it may be too small for you, the micro 4 thirds, especially the Pana

I am trying to be conscious of the "weight issue" as I deciding but right now I have the DSLR itch so I am not sure a small camera like this will satisfy. :P

Not so fast. What vineyards did you sample and what were your impressions? Enquiring minds want to know........:indra: Actually a great decision on Best Buy;they suck, their opinions suck, and their service sucks.

Other than that it is a great retail outlet.

I made a stop at the local winery out here in the So Cal burbs (Joseph Filippi Winery). Bought a bottle of 2005 Big Joe Barrel Blend #3 to take to Christmas dinner in Annapolis, MD. I am a fan a full bodied reds and this hit the spot. The Petit Sirah and Zin I tried were a little too light for me and had a bit of earthiness taste that didn't set so well with me (maybe Eucalyptus?). Cannot remember much about the Cab Franc anymore. The Velluto blend was also nice but since I will be checking this on the plane to MD, I didn't want to buy more than one bottle.

Oh, and the tasting was free! :)