What did you do today?

riceboy

I'd be interested in learning what his thinking is on placement of dipole speakers (such as electrostatics, or Magneplanar panels) which excite resonances only in one room dimension.

He mentions that dipoles cancel their own side waves, so they don't require the same placement from the rear wall. In his words:

"Panel or dipole speakers such as Apogees and Magnepans cancel their side waves, so a formula of .618 x the ceiling height can be used for determining placement from the rear wall. Most box speakers radiate low frequencies in all directions thus a formula that places the speaker to rear wall distance at 1.618 the side wall distance should be used."

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repainting my room. It's now red instead of the light blue its been since I was 12 and this is the first proper CTRL+F5 it's had in 13 years. The woodwork is next.

Also set to meet up with Mercuttio in Edinburgh tomo. I wish that circumstance hadn't been so poor for when Mike was over this desolate part of the world, so it'll be good to finally meet a US HC/HF chap on my home soil. Hopefully I can get the good chap to chime in here more often.

You've had some grief with that amp, but I've got to figure it is either because of the work that dude did because a McCormack amp wouldn't do that on its own (from my experience fucking with them). The other easy solution is that I have blown fuses in mine many times because of lame setups and you should open it up and check them. I bet you blew some on that side. Easily replaced and all is well.

He mentions that dipoles cancel their own side waves, so they don't require the same placement from the rear wall. In his words:

"Panel or dipole speakers such as Apogees and Magnepans cancel their side waves, so a formula of .618 x the ceiling height can be used for determining placement from the rear wall"

Interesting. I've just measured where my ESL57's are - 56" from the rear wall and a ceiling height of 90" - so a ratio of 0.62! I seem to have iterated to GC's golden ratio just based on moving them around and listening.

You've had some grief with that amp, but I've got to figure it is either because of the work that dude did because a McCormack amp wouldn't do that on its own (from my experience fucking with them). The other easy solution is that I have blown fuses in mine many times because of lame setups and you should open it up and check them. I bet you blew some on that side. Easily replaced and all is well.

Thanks Al, I will check tonight. There is sound coming out of the right channel but there is also a sound that is like if someone was blowing into a mic, not loud but there. I'm pretty sure this was operator error.

Due to start on Monday in a half-time employed role at Leicester University. I was actually doing the same thing for 2 1/2 years as an external consultant, but they could not cope with even longer as an external bod. So - and heaven knows why on earth I agreed to this - I said I'd take a huge pay cut to continue doing the job as an employee - and (UK) academic salaries suck big time. I'm not really salary-constrained in a major way, and I kind of have a good rapport with the team, and a sense of responsibility to see the thing through - and that swayed the decision.

This is as Project Manager for a deep space instrument called MIXS (the Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer) due for launch by ESA in late 2014. NASA have the second only spacecraft (Messenger) visiting Mercury about now; it is not in Mercury orbit yet, but doing fly-bys as it slows down enough to get into orbit. Ours will be the third mission (BepiColumbo), getting into polar orbit around the planet in 2020. All sorts of planetary gymnastics on its 6 year travel to catch up with Mercury - as has been the case with Messenger.

Good luck Dan! Heres hoping the c-pap machine wasn't built by someone like Mikail. :) Hate to have you overinflate like the Hindenberg or something.

Oh and if you do, pics please........

Edited by Augsburger
Need for pics. I like chocolate.

This is as Project Manager for a deep space instrument called MIXS (the Mercury Imaging X-ray Spectrometer) due for launch by ESA in late 2014.

Not sure what a project manager on a project like this does, but hope all goes well for you. Worthwhile project. Any thing specific you're hoping to achieve or accomplish?

Not sure what a project manager on a project like this does, but hope all goes well for you. Worthwhile project. Any thing specific you're hoping to achieve or accomplish?

Deliver the units to on time and to cost target. International team of around 80 involved and a budget of Euro14m. Stuctural and Thermal model delivered on schedule, Electrical Model due for delivery end November, Qualification Model due around Spring 2011, and Flight Model Jan 2012. Overall buck stops with me.

Deliver the units to on time and to cost target. International team of around 80 involved and a budget of Euro14m. Stuctural and Thermal model delivered on schedule, Electrical Model due for delivery end November, Qualification Model due around Spring 2011, and Flight Model Jan 2012. Overall buck stops with me.

In other words, you're going to try to blow up the Moon. Sounds pretty cool.

Dan, good luck!