What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically he retorted that I was an idiot for comments which I didn't actually make and that it stemmed from Scotland being inherantly incompetant in matters of electrical enginering compared to England.

I could have been the ^n more vicious in my counter-retort, but I'd have rather that the thread not be deleted so that as many people as possible get to read the offending statement, its in the latests beresford DAC thread. What bothers me most is that he isn't a registered MOT. I'd also like to see his and herandu's online status bulbs turn green at the same time.

I took one of my cats to the vet this morning, they still don't know what the problem is but they're trying to stop me worrying about the cat by giving me a $400 bill to worry about instead.

Fuck, vets are expensive. I can see this easily going skywards past $1000 in no time :(

We just spent 5X that to keep our furry, black cat alive. Fortunately he recovered and is doing well. No HD800 (or anything else expensive) for me this year. The good news is that I prefer the cat over getting new toys. :cool:

I hope you have a good outcome with your cat too.

Basically he retorted that I was an idiot for comments which I didn't actually make and that it stemmed from Scotland being inherantly incompetant in matters of electrical enginering compared to England.

I could have been the ^n more vicious in my counter-retort, but I'd have rather that the thread not be deleted so that as many people as possible get to read the offending statement, its in the latests beresford DAC thread. What bothers me most is that he isn't a registered MOT. I'd also like to see his and herandu's online status bulbs turn green at the same time.

just read it. :palm:

i hope he gets banned

I now kind of want to buy a beresford DAC and film myself smashing it to tiny bits, then post it saying that THIS is how I like to listen to it.

Don't forget to get one of the power thingies from hernandu. I believe at one point in time he was selling em (think... mk 3 4 or 5 time period, like right when 3 switched to 4, and it sucked, resulting in 5 being made).

Met up with friends, had lunch and dinner out today, then bao bing/shaved ice (authentic). Haven't had that in ages! Also got 2 lacoste polos :D, friend lost mad weight, and they don't fit him anymore.

Studied for my exam on Saturday. Watched The Ax Fight and The Hunters (which counted as revision:cool:). Created an unfortunately foul pasta sauce and had a ham sandwich for tea instead. Also suffered a libelous and racist attack from Stanley Beresford.

Stupid question Duggeh...

I know that you Brits refer to a meal when you say tea, but is it only proper to refer to lunch as tea, or is it the same for dinner?

Here in the South many people refer to lunch as dinner, and dinner as supper. That quite frankly drives a Northerner like me crazy.

I know that you Brits refer to a meal when you say tea, but is it only proper to refer to lunch as tea, or is it the same for dinner?

Here in the South many people refer to lunch as dinner, and dinner as supper. That quite frankly drives a Northerner like me crazy.

If I may speak for Duggeh for a moment..

Who would have thought that the answer to such a simple question as "what do you call a given meal?" could be a social signifier?

As ever, the internet explains it better than I could.

Tea, Dinner or Supper

And for the official BBC take on the matter

BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English

Best quote from this Yahoo Answer

What does "Lunch", "Dinner" and "Tea", "Supper" to british? - Yahoo! Answers

"As with many things in British society, the name you give your midday meal can instantly identify your social origin""

So Depending on how Duggeh responds, we'll be able to tell if he is U or non-U U and non-U English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E.g Is the mid-day meal Lunch, as in "We must do Lunch sometime",

or Dinner, as in "Dinner Ladies, the catering staff at state schools"

(Mind you as a Quad owning, St Andrews old boy some would say that he has already given the game away ;) )

If I may speak for Duggeh for a moment..

Who would have thought that the answer to such a simple question as "what do you call a given meal?" could be a social signifier?

As ever, the internet explains it better than I could.

Tea, Dinner or Supper

And for the official BBC take on the matter

BBC World Service | Learning English | Ask about English

Best quote from this Yahoo Answer

What does "Lunch", "Dinner" and "Tea", "Supper" to british? - Yahoo! Answers

"As with many things in British society, the name you give your midday meal can instantly identify your social origin""

So Depending on how Duggeh responds, we'll be able to tell if he is U or non-U U and non-U English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E.g Is the mid-day meal Lunch, as in "We must do Lunch sometime",

or Dinner, as in "Dinner Ladies, the catering staff at state schools"

(Mind you as a Quad owning, St Andrews old boy some would say that he has already given the game away ;) )

I had originally gone on about the nature of the uk and national identity and social class but it was off topic and didn’t do justice to the complexity of the issue so ill just be clear where I am on the meals. The class stuff is deeply english.

In Scotland, you start the day with breakfast, have lunch at lunchtime and have tea at teatime. Tea is the evening meal, and can be I suppose anytime as early as 4pm (too late for a late lunch) and as late as 7pm. The same meal after about 7pm would still be your tea; you just wouldn’t be eating it at teatime. Dinner refers to a more formal meal, such as in a (suitably upmarket) restaurant, or had when entertaining guests. Dinner is eaten later in the evening. Not before 7pm. If on the day after someone were to ask what you had had for your tea, you would say what you had for dinner, but not necessarily point out it was dinner. So you if you have a dinner party, you have dinner for your tea. If you have a tea party that’s very different, that would be light food and tea (the drink) sometime during the day. You could have a tea party for elevenses, brunch or afternoon tea, but none of these would be having your tea.

So you can have tea with any meal at any time, have your tea at teatime or after, tea parties must be before teatime and shouldn’t be had for your tea.

“Supper” doesn’t exist, it’s a word made up so that people have an excuse to eat a 4th meal. If your tea is so late that its past teatime or dinnertime, it’s still your tea.

Voltron my metal friend, I think you have it surrounded!

Food rules in Britain resemble cricket in the level of confusion it can generate.

In school we had lunchtime announced with a dinner bell. Breakfast has always been just that since it was invented. Tea time and dinner time are interchangeable (unless you're in a school with a dinner bell) Terminology also changes with circumstance as some call tea a smaller meal and dinner a bigger one even though they can occur at the same time of day..

Of course, it's well known that Scottish food times are always inferior to their English counterparts. Our food is also better than food costing much more, especially that food (sic) from jock-stap land. ;)

Signed JB