CanJam 2009

Asr

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I'm quite jealous of the BART system in SF from what I've heard about it. Would really like that sort of setup here.

Sorted out, or at least it seems to be fine until my next visit to the visa office, some of the issues that came up recently for me. Or maybe my family will give me another surprise.

Should at least be there saturday. Might be a little bit late (before noon at latest), but with some help from my friends, I should be able to head straight to CJ-- since one has offered me a place to stay for the night on sunday to defer the visa office visit til monday. Plan is to bring the m3, modded sonic frontiers transdac, a can or two, to pair up with Cetoole's orthos + laptop.

Damn, this is killing me I couldn't go.

Greg the Ref dac is really good and on first pass sounds like a solid winner. Al and I are going to put it up against some stiff competition this weekend

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to people's impressions with a Blue Hawaii/O2 rig. ;) Also, even if you think that expensive power cables are BS, at least borrow someone's stupidly expensive power cable and see if there's a difference using it vs. stock on the Ref 1.

So I got to be the first ever (according to Tyll) to hear balanced HD800s.

The second AFAIK. The first was a guy who (unofficially) works for Senn who posted a pic of his balanced HD-800s on HF. All the same, it's good to read more impressions. Now, of course, we finally know the real reason for the delay, that being the paint. I had suspected the reason was that some or other part wasn't robust enough.

Unfortunately my pair will first be delivered to a hi-fi nut friend in Cali who wants to try them first. I'll bet he ends up ordering a pair himself or trying to persuade me to let him keep them.

I'm very interested in impressions of the HR Balanced Ultra DAC or whatever its called.

Tyll has it hooked up in the balanced HD-800 system and he is loaning one to my table for the Toole Audio M3 Balanced HF-1s, HF-2s, HP-2s and HD-600. I will give a review after I am able to listen a while tomorrow as I have been too lazy to even hook anything up.

The High End room is almost completely set up. Pretty cool to see two SinglePower ES-2s sitting right next to each other amongst several other very nice set-ups and all the beer/scotch you can drink.

I saw the boxes for the HF-2s but Todd would not break them out, even after he started drinking his belgians. I should have mine in about 8 hours.

Dreadhead brought his Qualias so he can give you the review between the two but I heard the HD-800s on both the TTVJ 307A and Tylls Balanced Desktop/Dac set up. Very impressive in both.

There was also a private little show for about 10 of us, mostly Head casers, put on by Glenrothes in which we each received Glencairn Glasses with an etched CanJam logo. The Glenrothes guy gave a little speech on their process and then let us drink 2-3 bottles of each of the 1985, 1991 and Special Reserve.

Great meet so far and it was nice to finally meet Jacob and a few other Head Case guys.

Who's gonna be the first to post a pic of the HF-2s?

Not, I.

But I did catch a peek. I am quite impressed with their material choice and build.

Even though it's still a Grado.

I was tempted for a second as a collectors item, but there are simply too many toys to buy this month.

-Ed

Hey Dinny. I'm actually going downstairs right now to find bacon and then go listen again to the HR stuff with my HF-1s. That'll give me a better idea what was source and what was phones (and what was whisky). :)

And I'm still definitely getting the 800s. They're really, really good.