And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Sprint called back, right on schedule, for the third time, to check on the status of my phone problem. (A cell was down so our mobiles ceased working in our house. It was fixed relatively promptly.)

What's got into their customer care department? The service was stunningly, shockingly good. They've always been pretty good for the thousand line customer, but I called this in as a schmo with two phones on a family plan.

If you can't depend on crappy service from your cellphone carrier , what's the world coming to?

Edited by CarlSeibert
  • Like 2

Carl, that’s shockingly good news.

I’ve hated almost every cell company I’ve had, and am a poster boy for churn. I liked Sprint when I lived in the city in a building which had their towers on top of it. When we moved to the ‘burbs, I got zero signal. I was able to break my contract based on this. Went to Nextel, which I was happy with for once, until … they were bought by Sprint a few months later.  I broke my contract again, went with Tmo which had good customer svc, but terrible signal strength, which I tolerated for a few years. I finally found a company I liked 2 months ago when I went with US Cellular. Great signal, great customer service, all signs were for upgrade to LTE at the end of the year, their LTE was great in Wisconsin when I was there. And … I just read that they just sold their Chicago market to  … Sprint. WTF??!?!  So I’m convinced my destiny is to fight with Sprint. I’m already looking for reasons to break my contract when the deal goes through next summer.

But the more I read, the more it looks like they recently have committed to and received funding for improved infrastructure and improved technology. And maybe customer service??? I’m thinking I’ll stick it out and see what they are like after the switch. Maybe third time’s the charm.

My microbio professor took cultures from his grandsons preschool. We were all scared to look at the cultures. Then we looked under the microscopes and vowed never to take our kids to preschools. Ever.

I already feel like I'm coming down with something.

Pneumonic plague or some shit.

Cough and cover!

My microbio professor took cultures from his grandsons preschool. We were all scared to look at the cultures. Then we looked under the microscopes and vowed never to take our kids to preschools. Ever.

What are you going to do, put them in a bubble?  As if any school, pre or otherwise is going to be any different.  I can and will admit that it is frustrating as hell to have a little one constantly getting sick but it is what it is.  My house has been a sea of coughing, sneezing and puking since last Saturday.

I haven't had to brief anyone higher than a Navy Captain and intend to keep it that way.  I'll be out of the office when an Admiral visits which is just about perfect in my book.  Now if he wasn't coming to look at a tangential project to one that I'm involved heavily with it'd be totally perfect. 

I suggest that you don't take Parasitology or you will become a vegetarian again, at least for a long while.

Briefed a Major General (2 star). It was a little nerve wracking to stand in front of a man 7 grades above you with a PhD in everything.

Ah, then he was the very model of a modern Major General?

Great, now I have that stuck in my head, too.  It's a medley now.

I guess I was lucky -- when a project I was working on was under a retired 2-star (and if he didn't have a Ph.D. in everything, he sure fooled me -- one of the smartest guys I ever knew -- I still have fond memories of him), he visited us all the time and got to know us on a first name basis, and insisted we call him by his first name as well.  I even ran into him once at the Kennedy Center with my mom, and he was the perfect gentlemen and refused to discuss work.

I do recognize he was -- how shall I say it? -- not your typical retired 2-star.  It was my understanding that they had their sense of humor surgically removed long before then, and then surgically reintroduced later on up the chain.  Well, from the stories I heard, he never lost his.

Long story, but kind of a fun one.

On my way to a Santa gig this evening, I ran out of gas. Knew that I was on fumes but thought I could make it. Thought wrong. Plus I was running right on time without a minute to spare, so I had no choice but to leave the SUV where it was, kind of half on the shoulder and half on the road. Not an obstruction to traffic in any way, but certainly not where a vehicle should be parked.

But I had precious little time, and a bad back (been to the chiropractor twice this week and am healing gradually, but still sore) so there was no way I could put it in neutral and move it myself. Instead, I popped the back latch, grabbed my big toy bag and bells, etc., and hitched a ride to my event. First car was Cayman Airway flight attendant (they all know me by sight) so she stopped and then laughed the whole way to the event. Got there right on the minute.

On the way, I called the West Bay police and explained where I had left the SUV, that I was on my way to do a Santa event, and would be back in 3 hours. Ok, she said, not a problem, so long as there are no complaints. One hour into the event, I had someone call back the police station to confirm everything was still Ok. No problem. Another hour later, another call, still no problem.

Got a ride from the photographers back home after the event, and quickly changed to street clothes, grabbed a gas can out of the shed, and was putting my key in my other car when my cell phone rang. West Bay police officer so and so, reading my licence plate and asking if this was my vehicle, then informing me that he gave me a ticket. Tried to explain the situation, to no avail.

Arrived at my SUV 6 minutes after the ticket was written. $100. Put in a gallon of gas drove it to the gas station to fill it up, and then to the police station. Same officer is in the building, so he comes out to see me, all gruffy and official, telling me the rules. I said, "No problem, sir, but now you're on Santa's naughty list!" Said it in a friendly, obviously joking manner. Told him he was going to get a lump of coal. He's not amused. Asks me, "Is that all sir?"

I said, "Nope. That's not everything. Please inform Sergent Williams when you see him next that there has been a price change for event that Santa has scheduled for a week from Sunday. It was to be free, but will now cost $100." He looked at me somewhat quizzically, so I said, "Every year, I do this event for your department for the benefit of poor children in the community. It's held during prime hours that I can easily reschedule for a minimum of $300. I schedule it as a freebie every year anyway, and in fact call in October to reserve whatever time Sergent Williams prefers. Have been doing it for years and years for free. This year it will be $100 cash, paid a minimum of 24 hours in advance. That, sir, is all."

I then turned and walked away. Didn't even give him a chance to respond. Tomorrow morning, it will be interesting to see how long it takes Williams to call me. Don't fuck with Santa or you'll get some dork wearing a cotton ball beard and naugahyde boot covers. It should be interesting.

• Like 1

On my way to a Santa gig this evening, I ran out of gas. Knew that I was on fumes but thought I could make it. Thought wrong. Plus I was running right on time without a minute to spare, so I had no choice but to leave the SUV where it was, kind of half on the shoulder and half on the road. Not an obstruction to traffic in any way, but certainly not where a vehicle should be parked. 25 mph zone, clear views in both directions, and only 30 feet from a stop sign, so anyone pulling out would see it and let any oncoming traffic clear. Really not in such a bad spot, but it did have ticket written all over it.

But I had precious little time, and a bad back (been to the chiropractor twice this week and am healing gradually, but still sore) so there was no way I could put it in neutral and move it myself. Instead, I popped the back latch, grabbed my big toy bag and bells, etc., and hitched a ride to my event. First car was a Cayman Airway flight attendant (they all know me by sight) so she stopped and then laughed the whole way to the event. Got there right on the minute.

On the way, I called the West Bay police and explained where I had left the SUV, that I was on my way to do a Santa event, and would be back in 3 hours. Ok, she said, not a problem, so long as there are no complaints. One hour into the event, I had someone call back the police station to confirm everything was still Ok. No problem. Another hour later, another call, still no problem.

Got a ride from the photographers back home after the event, and quickly changed to street clothes, grabbed a gas can out of the shed, and was putting my key in my other car when my cell phone rang. West Bay police officer so and so, reading my licence plate and asking if this was my vehicle, then informing me that he gave me a ticket. Tried to explain the situation, to no avail.

Arrived at my SUV 6 minutes after the ticket was written. $100. Put in a gallon of gas drove it to the gas station to fill it up, and then to the police station. Same officer is in the building, so he comes out to see me, all gruffy and official, telling me the rules. I said, "No problem, sir, but now you're on Santa's naughty list!" Said it in a friendly, obviously joking manner. Told him he was going to get a lump of coal. He's not amused. Asks me, "Is that all sir?"

I said, "Nope. That's not everything. Please inform Sergent Williams when you see him next that there has been a price change for an event that Santa has scheduled for a week from Sunday. It was to be free, but will now cost $100." He looked at me somewhat quizzically, so I said, "Every year, I do this event for your department for the benefit of poor children in the community. It's held during prime hours that I can easily reschedule for a minimum of $300. I schedule it as a freebie every year anyway, and in fact call the station in October to reserve whatever time Sergent Williams prefers. Have been doing it for years and years for free. This year it will be $100 cash, paid a minimum of 24 hours in advance. That, sir, is all."

I then turned and walked away. Didn't even give him a chance to respond. Tomorrow morning, it will be interesting to see how long it takes Williams to call me. Don't fuck with Santa or you'll get some dork wearing a cotton ball beard and naugahyde boot covers. It should be interesting.

Edited by Wmcmanus

On my way to a Santa gig this evening, I ran out of gas. Knew that I was on fumes but thought I could make it. Thought wrong. Plus I was running right on time without a minute to spare, so I had no choice but to leave the SUV where it was, kind of half on the shoulder and half on the road. Not an obstruction to traffic in any way, but certainly not where a vehicle should be parked.

But I had precious little time, and a bad back (been to the chiropractor twice this week and am healing gradually, but still sore) so there was no way I could put it in neutral and move it myself. Instead, I popped the back latch, grabbed my big toy bag and bells, etc., and hitched a ride to my event. First car was Cayman Airway flight attendant (they all know me by sight) so she stopped and then laughed the whole way to the event. Got there right on the minute.

I said, "Nope. That's not everything. Please inform Sergent Williams when you see him next that there has been a price change for event that Santa has scheduled for a week from Sunday. It was to be free, but will now cost $100." He looked at me somewhat quizzically, so I said, "Every year, I do this event for your department for the benefit of poor children in the community. It's held during prime hours that I can easily reschedule for a minimum of $300. I schedule it as a freebie every year anyway, and in fact call in October to reserve whatever time Sergent Williams prefers. Have been doing it for years and years for free. This year it will be $100 cash, paid a minimum of 24 hours in advance. That, sir, is all."

What happens when he doesn't pass the message along to Sgt Williams?

What are you going to do, put them in a bubble?  As if any school, pre or otherwise is going to be any different.  I can and will admit that it is frustrating as hell to have a little one constantly getting sick but it is what it is.  My house has been a sea of coughing, sneezing and puking since last Saturday. 

I was just exaggerating for effect. Wasn't serious about it.