And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Nobody is safe from flooding.   :nate:

We don't live in a flood zone.  We live high up on Cheyenne Mountain with NORAD in our back yard.  Yet, the rain was so bad today that we just spent the last 5 hours clearing out the basement and bailing out water from a flooded basement window well.  At one point the window well was COMPLETELY FULL of water to the top, and the window was bulging inward but it didn't implode!

We had a torrent of water coming down the hill and past our house, right into our back yard.  This 6 foot deep "swimming pool" in the window well was leaking into the basement around the window and from behind the drywall, ruining the drywall and soaking the carpet.  The window well casement or barrier is going to need to be torn out and reinstalled, as will the window, and we're going to have to fix the grading in the landscape and re-do everything so this doesn't happen again.

My wife and I, our son, and two neighbors were tearing out our rock landscaping to make drainage ditches to divert the water away from the house.  We had to do a bucket brigade to clear water out of the window well, and put up sandbags, and finally got things under control.  The company that built our house in 2005 apparently did a terrible job with the grading of the lot, and it's going to take a lot of work to fix it. 

We now have thousands of dollars of damage to the basement.  I was able to save over $24,000 in headphone gear, and will have to sell about half of it to pay for the house repairs since we don't live in a flood plain and don't have flood insurance.  Most of our disposable income is now writing checks for two kids in college.  This sucks big time.

I should be happy that the gear was cleared out before the window could burst - the KGBH, KGSS, ZDT, EF6, PWD Mk2, Nuforce CDP-8, Nuforce STA-100 amp with WEE, Emotiva BDP-1 amp with SRD-7 Pro, Audioengine D2 DAC & Airport express, NAD 555 Turntable, Stax SR-009 and SR-007, and HE-60 are safe.  While I was out buying sandbags my neighbor came over and  disconnected all my headphone gear and put it all on top of the pool table, and we moved it upstairs.

post-905-0-69379600-1379049355_thumb.jpg

Suxorz.  Sympathies.  But on the bright side, you no longer have to dwell on which headphone gear to keep and which one to sell.  If you were even considering selling it, sell it.  Time to pare down anyway, neh?  (Hint:  just keep telling yourself that -- I call it brainwashing, but really you're just retraining the brain.)  It's just stuff.

Suxorz.  Sympathies.  But on the bright side, you no longer have to dwell on which headphone gear to keep and which one to sell.  If you were even considering selling it, sell it.  Time to pare down anyway, neh?  (Hint:  just keep telling yourself that -- I call it brainwashing, but really you're just retraining the brain.)  It's just stuff.

Yeah, I have been planning to thin the herd a bit - but can't decide what to keep.  Prior to this disaster I wasn't really "needing" to sell anything, but didn't like having so much gear that I can't use it all.

Each piece of gear on the table does something that another piece can't do - the KGBH makes the 009 or HE-60 kick like a dynamic headphone, the KGSS is a jack of all trades, the EF6 makes the HD800 kick like a dynamic headphone, the ZDT offers refinement and space that I don't get from the EF6, etc... Sigh...

I am still amazed that the window didn't pop and let a flood of water into the basement - it was holding about as much water as our hot tub spa, like maybe 500 gallons!  It leaked just enough to get the wall and floor wet, but I had my power supplies and power conditioner just 3" off the floor before we moved them.  My son was in the window well and bailing it out with a 5 gallon bucket, but had to get out when the water was up to his shoulders!  

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Sorry to hear about your place, Larry.  Crazy year Colorado has been having.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is safe, and that you got gear out of the way in time.  Less glad to hear about looming repair bills.

The 2 kids off at school -- any of them in school in CO?  They both alright?