And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

yeah, I was very persistent the three times I spoke to the Ins Co.  I think it helped with our claim that the builder stated they designed the window wells to drain to the sump pump, and that if it had been working the basement would not have taken on water.  And we had a witness that the breaker tripped, as well as our alarm on the same circuit reported a power outage during the event (but it runs on a battery backup so it didn't shut down). This meant we could honestly say problem originated from within the house.  

The damage estimate is up to $5,500 with drywall and painting (not incl landscaping).  So far the most important things are fixed out of pocket - the water, and the shorted electrical socket. We have plenty of time to put it all back together.

So, should we also put a large PC battery backup on the sump pump, like the alarm?  It's never rained hard enough to make the sump pump trip the breaker, but I'd worry about burning up the motor if it's run hard enough to trip the breaker and we give it backup power.  But backup power would be good if there is a general power outage during a storm.  

Re-grading the landscape in the back might be more effective.  In 8 years we never saw water building up like this, and it isn't likely to happen again, but there is no guarantee NORAD wont get a mudslide again and re-direct all the rainwater in our direction.  

Wound up work today early.  Packed to go on leave for 5 days to Ubud, Bali tomorrow morning.  

Came home to find a parcel -  my first headphone purchase in 3 years: Stax SR-303.  I'll either look for a pair of Sigmas to mod and use them for that or to replace my ageing Lambdas in my office.

Just about to mix me an Mrs Expanding our first martini for the night.  I'll listen to the 303's after that.

Perfect day!!

So, should we also put a large PC battery backup on the sump pump, like the alarm?  It's never rained hard enough to make the sump pump trip the breaker, but I'd worry about burning up the motor if it's run hard enough to trip the breaker and we give it backup power.  But backup power would be good if there is a general power outage during a storm.

Hmmmm... not sure what about the main pump would have tripped the breaker other than it was not up to the task at hand. You may need a more powerful main pump. Btw, the "battery backup" only powers a secondary, less powerful pump. Your main pump cannot be sustained for any length of time on battery, so when the mains power goes, your primary pump stops working regardless. For that, you need a generator.

Glad the insurance company came through though.

Edited by jpelg

Btw, the "battery backup" only powers a secondary, less powerful pump. Your main pump cannot be sustained for any length of time on battery, so when the mains power goes, your primary pump stops working regardless. For that, you need a generator.

This, more often than not.  We did end up getting a battery backup for our pump.  We got ~8" of water some years ago due to some building that was done near our neighborhood and a sudden water table change.

Thankfully, the pump hasn't been needed to date (though we test it at least yearly), our french drains have diverted any water we can potentially get.

Hmmmm... not sure what about the main pump would have tripped the breaker other than it was not up to the task at hand. You may need a more powerful main pump. Btw, the "battery backup" only powers a secondary, less powerful pump. Your main pump cannot be sustained for any length of time on battery, so when the mains power goes, your primary pump stops working regardless. For that, you need a generator.

Glad the insurance company came through though.

The sump pump seems quite powerful, based on how fast it sucked the water out of the window well once it was turned back on.  Other than the biblical rain we got on the 12th and 15th this month, we've never seen this much water in our backyard and it might never happen again.  There was something close in 2005 when we built the house, but even without any landscaping installed yet we didn't have this much water coming through back then.  On the 15th it rained almost as hard as the 12th when we got wet, and the sump pump worked great.  

So the cause of the tripped breaker is still a mystery.  How often should a sump pump be replaced, as routine maintenance?

FEMA came by today to introduce themselves to all the neighbors who had water get into their houses after the NORAD mudslide.  It seems that only three houses on the block got wet, but the other two homeowners had their basements filled up with mud and debris.  We were SO MUCH LUCKIER than most others.  They still encouraged us to register with FEMA so we could get help for anything that insurance doesn't cover, and maybe a low interest SBA loan to re-grade the property as a safe-guard.  A 1-2% loan would be much better than 9% on a credit card, but we're not banking on it (pun intended).  These guys were really friendly and helpful, and we have an inspector coming over this weekend. 

On Mackinac Island for a company function. No motorized vehicles. Walk, bike or horse drawn is the only way to get around. Wi-Fi is dial up. Hey, at least we have water, electric and heat.

Took a ferry to the island. Can see the Mackinaw bridge. Weather is great. Room sucks but no out of pocket expenses. Have a function toattend shortly and another tomorrow night. Lots of free time.

Went for a run to work off some anger. Apparently I ran out of anger an I'm in an inexplicably good mood now.

Yup, stopped for a good/hard MTB ride on the way home and it did wonders for my mood even after I was attacked by a tree and left with a decent shoulder bruise/contusion.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. After going through the meat grinding known as the US health care system yesterday, it looks like what I have is a very bad allergic reaction. To what exactly, they're still not sure. I'm considerably better today, but I still do bear a passing resemblance to Two-Face.

anPBnww.jpg