And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

If he was actually pretending, it was pretty amazing. If a 4000 pound animal came at me with a 20 foot kayak paddle, i'd have a pretty hard time trying to look relaxed. Or maybe I'd just pass out from terror.

That *is* what they do to protect themselves (pretend they are a dead/sick).

Edited by shellylh

Possums are not the smartest creatures around.

Their pursuit of food and privacy seems to override their survival instinct sometimes.

My backyard fence is a highway for the ones in my neighborhood and when I first moved here, I tried to stop them but gave up.

I'd take a hoe and poke them till they'd almost fall off the fence then take a rake to force them to turn around.

I did this every night for a while but the peach tree a few houses down beckoned so my efforts were in vain.

When I was a kid, I had a buddy pick one up by the tail. It became kind of fierce, hissing like a cat and snapping like a gator.

Very unpleasant and kind of reptilian!

Skunks on the other hand act like they're at the top of the food chain (even though they're no match for a Buick).

When I lived in a poolhouse up on the ridge of a mountain, they and raccoons used to come to the pool at night.

A couple of times, I almost tripped on skunks in the night and thank god, they didn't spray me. On the contrary, they'd just go about their business after looking up at me as if saying "You lucky SOB, if I wasn't so busy,..".

After I found out that they dug into yellowjacket nests and ate my most hated bug, I was happy to coexist with them (enemy of my enemy,..).

Depending on the rain fall, I get lots of different animals pretty close to my house.

Deer come and eat the pretty flowers, I hear coyotes howl and yap all the time and I've even seen a huge mountain lion about 2 miles away crossing a quiet street.

Although I don't like the idea of disease being spread, it's kinda the "bad" that comes with the "good" IMHO.

And when it comes right down to it, deer can spread disease just as easily as a possum.

It's just that they aren't so fuckin ugly!

So I am sitting in my back yard performing my daily  Friday ritual of drinking wine and watching the sun set and guess what I see out of the corner of my eye?

erbk.jpg

There are hundreds of these sometimes just a foot or so above my head when i run in the trails in the park behind my neighborhood:

20130821_175715.jpg

20130821_175648.jpg

I'm with you, Jacob.  It's tough to have pain and limitations due to an old injury, but at least you're seeking out answers that can help prevent future problems.  I wish I had learned some corrective steps to the problems my accident caused before I did (legs different lengths, walking in a manner to avoid pain in ankle, which set up other problems, etc.).  Glad you're doing this now.