And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Not gout than.

Gout is usually associated with toes but can be  in just about any joint. The cold makes it worse and folks that have it usually have flair ups in the winter when their feet get cold.

It can be extremely painful to the point that even the weight of a blanket can cause a high levels of pain.

The pain/swelling/redness is caused by uric acid crystals forming in the joint but no one know exactly why those crystals form.

Use of some medications and dietary habits seem to be associated with it but nothing is conclusive that I know of.

I had it pretty bad a decade or so ago. It just went away thank god!

Definitely not gout (thank goodness).  I don't have any redness in the area. 

would i have to sharpen at the office, or could i do it at home?  water stones are kinda messy, and there is no automated way to put a good edge on a chisel (if there were, my ortho wouldn't have described surgical chisels as "always dull."  that phrase makes me not want to get more surgery, as well).

The one person I know who is in the field doesn't do anything so small -- he does maintenance on very large equipment, so he has to go to them.  I don't know how it'd work -- but it'd be harmless to find out, neh?  Just look up those surgeons in your area and send out a mass junk mail.  Alright, not so harmless -- cost of some stamps.

Shelly/Jacob you know there is always---

voodoo-doll_163.jpg

I have in-laws in NOLA and for a couple of chickens, two bottles of rum and a 1/4 pound of Tangelo Kush, they will hook you up with Madam Lulu in the French Quarter and soon all your troubles will melt away.  You will need to fly there as they do not make house calls and they don't take Blue Cross.

Found our washing machine dead in middle of a wash cycle, luckily, there weren't to many clothes in there.  Hopefully, we can get it repaired at a reasonable cost since we really don't want to buy a new washing machine.

If it stopped before the spin cycle, you might be in luck.

You know how the machine will stop when you open the door only during a spin cycle (if it's a top loader).

There's a switch that has to be enabled for spin to work. The switch is inside of the top of the machine and you might be able to see it through a little hole. The lid usually has a little rod or something that goes through the hole when the lid is closed and enables the switch.

Pretty stone age stuff but it's one of those "it just works" kinda things.

It's very common for this switch to go bad or even the little rod that pokes through the hole to break.

If you do a search you may even find a YouTube video on removing the front and top of your exact machine (but many are very similar). The switch is attached to the top.

Take the switch to an appliance parts place and get a replacement.

Like I said, if you're lucky, you're looking at a repair cost of under $20 bucks.

Good luck!

I found a website once that was great for explaining appliances. ( which are designed in a way that's totally opaque to me. ) Google "appliance ninja" or something like that. The people in the forum told me exactly what to look for to confirm the failed parts and how to tear the machine down to get to them (which I found to be the weirdest part)

It might have been this place: http://appliantology.org

If it stopped before the spin cycle, you might be in luck.

You know how the machine will stop when you open the door only during a spin cycle (if it's a top loader).

There's a switch that has to be enabled for spin to work. The switch is inside of the top of the machine and you might be able to see it through a little hole. The lid usually has a little rod or something that goes through the hole when the lid is closed and enables the switch.

Pretty stone age stuff but it's one of those "it just works" kinda things.

It's very common for this switch to go bad or even the little rod that pokes through the hole to break.

If you do a search you may even find a YouTube video on removing the front and top of your exact machine (but many are very similar). The switch is attached to the top.

Take the switch to an appliance parts place and get a replacement.

Like I said, if you're lucky, you're looking at a repair cost of under $20 bucks.

Good luck!

I'm certain that it's a broken/old switch. There was a loose metal plate right under the switch and I could make the washer go into spin cylcle if I jammed my finger and jiggled the switch. I'm hoping I can find the part or someone that can repair since the washer is old. At least I have few days before needing a washer since it stopped working while I was doing my last load.

Once you pull the front/top of the case off of the washer you'll be able to get a good look at the switch.

It could be that all you need to do is tighten the screws since it sounds like it still works.

If you think about all the crap that fall down into that hole and all the vibration it endures, those switches (and the whole machine for that matter) are remarkably robust!

It could also be that it's not making contact very well, so maybe just a squirt of contact cleaner will fix it. And sometimes it just isn't working until the switch is depressed all the way.

The best thing is to just replace it since it's usually pretty cheap, but if you can't, you can always just short the wires (bypassing the switch) so it will always go into spin whether the lid is closed or not.

The switch is a safety device since the spin motor has enough torque to just about pull your arm off! (think about how much weight it has to spin at high RPM's)

If you have kids around, this is a very bad idea!

I'm certain that it's a broken/old switch. There was a loose metal plate right under the switch and I could make the washer go into spin cylcle if I jammed my finger and jiggled the switch. I'm hoping I can find the part or someone that can repair since the washer is old. At least I have few days before needing a washer since it stopped working while I was doing my last load.

I've fixed exactly this problem.  As Ironbut says, once you get under the plate, it's pretty obvious.  In my case, it couldn't be "tightened", so I had to jury-rig it back into place with some duct tape.

Woke up to an awful smell.  Came out to the living room to investigate and found Quest collapsed between two chairs.  A trail of feces from one end to the other.  Called him and he half crawled to me.  He lost the use of his rear.  Must have been a seizure.  Have him settled in a portable kennel but he doesn't react like he knows where he is or who I am.  The mess is cleaned up until the carpeting can be cleaned.  Most of the smell has been eliminated.  Now the wait until morning to see whether he recovers.  

A toast to Quest's recovery.  

Long night.  He continued to have the occasional seizure.  However, he gets up this morning bright eyed with full use of his body.  Somewhat unstable in the rear but otherwise seems normal .... except he wants to eat and he never wants to eat.  Quest is 13 years old and no doubt this is the beginning of the end.  Just grateful I get more time with my buddy.