And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Hopefully the job is nothing like Navy bootcamp, but at least there "not a morning person" ceases within two days. May seem a ridiculous comparison (and the back issue is separate, of course), but if this job or another looks positive in other respects, believe me everyone can adapt to the hours. Everyone.

Working at a company with an unlimited PTO policy and managing employees that have taken off considerably more time than a few weeks, I would have to disagree.

It certainly doesn't match anywhere I've worked. There may be years that you can do it but if you matter to the company it's hard to take much time at all.

It certainly doesn't match anywhere I've worked. There may be years that you can do it but if you matter to the company it's hard to take much time at all.

I would argue if you matter to the company, they will make it work. If I were you and truly believed what you just stated, I would find another job.

For example, if you are able to complete a project in 75% of the time if you could take the last 25% off, both sides win. Many people work to their work done early for the holidays and took off 5-6 weeks.

I think another factor is that in tech many people are tied to equity in a manner that is really obvious. If you do well, then the stock price goes up and so does their total compensation.

Regardless, plenty of ink spilled on the topic (definitely worth searching around, though some opinions such as those at Virgin seem a bit utopic) and it's becoming more common for sure. If I was in a position such as Reks it's something I would seek out.

• Like 1

If you're anything like me, don't worry too much about the hours.

I was a total night owl too.

I took a job that started at 6:30am and I really thought that I'd never get used to it. I did fairly quickly and grew to prefer it (very little traffic either way, got a jump on the crowd when I went to the store etc).

Did the same a number of years back.  Going to daylight hours was really a treat I did not expect.  I had just spent so many weekends trying to keep up with the rest of the "daylight hours people" and not knowing, really, what day it was.  It never really worked for me at night.  I think you might like the change.  I don't know what your back issues are, but where I work now we have a few people using the motorized lift desks so you can stand or sit whenever you want.  I think they are quite happy with them.  As much as can be.  Good luck.

And for Larry - OMG.  I'm so glad to see you posting.  Sending healing thoughts your way.  

The modem for the internet at home died Thursday, which isn't too bad as it was vulnerable to the unfortunate cookie vulnerability and I can tether to the phone in the meantime. I missed so much in the last week or so, I'm stunned.

You're all in my thoughts, take care please and as much as possible, I wish you a happy holiday.