And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Signed up for a new credit card today because this NYT article (along with other research) convinced me that the Amazon Chase card I've been using for 99% of my spending is not the right one for my shit-head, yuppie millennial lifestyle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/business/american-express-chase-sapphire-reserve.html?ref=business

I am an idiot, but given my travel and restaurant spending the the rewards should more than make up for the annual fee.

I've always used a credit card as a cash substitute and I have always paid my cards in full each month. This is 100% about optimizing reward benefits given my spending habits.

Edited by TMoney

I upgraded from the regular Sapphire to that one recently.  I tend to get at least $300 a month in cash back so the fee is not an issue.  Outside of their getting all uppity when I buy big stuff or travel a lot and shutting down the card "for my protection", it has been a pretty great card.

I was told recently that they might try to submit my cash back as taxable income at some point since I tend to get so much back, as I spend like a mad man.  Not sure if that is legitimate or not.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, VPI said:

I upgraded from the regular Sapphire to that one recently.  I tend to get at least $300 a month in cash back so the fee is not an issue.  Outside of their getting all uppity when I buy big stuff or travel a lot and shutting down the card "for my protection", it has been a pretty great card.

I was told recently that they might try to submit my cash back as taxable income at some point since I tend to get so much back, as I spend like a mad man.  Not sure if that is legitimate or not.

The same basically applies to me, just on a smaller scale as I am a tax bracket or two below you.

I'm glad its been working for you so far.

And yeah Grahame, I agree that AMEX seems to be losing touch. Losing Costco was one very public outward sign of what seems to be internal malaise.