Liquid Lightning

seacard

Who the hell are you two to judge Steve Guttenberg? In fact, who the fuck are you in general? Guttenberg has been a supporter of headphone audio and is currently doing great stuff for Tyll's Innerfidelity site. So why don't you shut the fuck up.

Wait, are you actually defending Guttenberg or are you just hassling the new guys?

The fact that someone is a prolific reviewer in the headphone space does not automatically gaurantee them any kind of respect. See: Ebaen, Srajan.

I appreciate the fact that he has posted on Tyll's site, but I have found his Inner Fidelity posts, much like his reviews, to be worthless.

IMO, a good review critically analyzes gear, compares how it performs relative to other gear in its price range and class, then makes an informed conclusion about whether the gear is worth purchasing. Tyll is a master of this.

On the other hand, a Steve Guttenberg review reads like manufacturer's ad copy, has a passage where he claims that he can "hear things I've never heard before," and includes a laconically worded 1 sentence compare and contrast to other gear that isn't in the same price range. Naturally the gear being reviewed sounds better than something cheaper but worse than something more expensive.

Edited by TMoney

Yeah, the SG reviews are in the same camp as 6moons for me, utterly useless. It's good that he's helping Tyll but Tyll's reviews are actually a rare breed, insightful and not clouded by sticker price or some other nonsense.

Interesting.

I Found my SED winged-C EL-34 so I'll install those tonight for a listen. My WES is not terrible as is, but wonder if there's something about this being unit #1 with RCA loop out onstead of SE input with phase splitters that makes it a little better. I bought the unit Steve Guttenberg reviewed, and he thought it was the best he ever heard with O2 mk2.

AFAIK yours is pretty much the same as the rest of the amps.

Guttenberg, and his ilk, strike me as these developmentally challenged children who get excited by every next shiny thing they find.

rofl.gif Good analogy.

Yeah, the SG reviews are in the same camp as 6moons for me, utterly useless. It's good that he's helping Tyll but Tyll's reviews are actually a rare breed, insightful and not clouded by sticker price or some other nonsense.

Agreed. One could make the point that Dr. Dre is helping the headphone hobby as well rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pars

Guttenberg has a lot of interesting info, but my issue with him is he's a click whore. He'll publish opposing proposals (sometimes the same week, usually in different media) to, I'm guessing, stir controversy. He'll post for example "Why are their no audiophiles under 40?" while he's also elsewhere reviewing a headphone meet and how great it is to see so many young people interested in audio. He does this all the time.

And lately his tweets have entertainingly gotten more angry...

AudiophiliacMan Steve Guttenberg

I literally get off my ass to go out and buy and play my #music collection. I guess that's too labor intensive for some of us.

https://twitter.com/...791753269059584

get-off-my-lawn-sea-turtle.jpg

Edited by blessingx

Wait, are you actually defending Guttenberg or are you just hassling the new guys?

Both, with an emphasis on the latter. I don't think he is a great reviewer but I also don't appreciate noobs with no reputation or credibility coming in and calling Guttenberg a retard.

I'm just an asshole

Agreed.

When you say "Steve Guttenberg thought the WES/O2MK2 combo was the best he's ever heard them" you have to remember who you're talking about. SG thought the deeply flawed HE-5 was the greatest thing since sliced bread. SG's support of headphone audio is great, and I often enjoy his Cnet articles. He's not God though, and his word is not law. If he says the WES is the greatest amp ever made, that does not make it so.

Nobody here on this site would make the leap you fear, so don't feel the need to protect us from ourselves.

Guttenberg has a lot of interesting info, but my issue with him is he's a click whore.

The reason I would bother here at all is because Guttenberg is also Tyll's click whore, so clearly I'm being more protective than otherwise.

I'm actually kinda irritated to find SG's reviews on innerfidelity. Tyll's reviews are concise, objective, backed up by measurements, comparative, basically everything that your typical 6-moons style audiophile review isn't. Which is why SG's reviews seem to me completely out of place with innerfidelity's content.

Obviously I appreciate anybody that supports the headphone hobby but speaking of just his reviews, I don't like them at all.

So, Brian Kurtz is leaving Cavalli Audio on friendly terms I hear.

I was dumbfounded when I met him at RMAF and he looked at me and said, "Larry Ganz, Camp Jacobs, Uitca Mississippi, 1975". I'm like "huh, what"? Turns out he was my camp councilor at a 4-week summer camp when I was 14 years old, and he remembered me!! Amazing guy, whom I plan to stay in touch with.

Holy shit, the liquid fire (which sounds like something that happens after a meal at a bad Mexican restaurant) is $3250 plus shipping. That is more than I paid for my BA. But then again Craig doesn't consider himself a thought leader so I guess you are paying extra for that.

Edit: I see Dan had the same thought re. the amp name :D

Edited by morphsci

So, in summary, we'd rather talk about anything other than the shilltastic shitbag amp called the liquid fire (does that name remind you of having the shits after a night of hot peppers and tequila?)

Couldn't have said it better. Liquid Fire being nothing more than a EHHA with a crappy input stage is just too funny.

So, Brian Kurtz is leaving Cavalli Audio on friendly terms I hear.

I was dumbfounded when I met him at RMAF and he looked at me and said, "Larry Ganz, Camp Jacobs, Uitca Mississippi, 1975". I'm like "huh, what"? Turns out he was my camp councilor at a 4-week summer camp when I was 14 years old, and he remembered me!! Amazing guy, whom I plan to stay in touch with.

I like Brian a lot. I had no idea he was involved here. Any details?

As a well known Gay Thought Leader, I've decided I'm missing the boat by not offering my own series of amplifiers for the headphone market.

Our first offering from Rainbow Audio will be named the Liquid Lube. I have no pics available at this time, but expect a silky smooth presentation.

Our second offering will be named Top & Bottom...

cary1610se.jpg

Expect a more aggressive presentation, and a small shriek upon insertion of the TRS jack.