What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more smile here for Bugsy David :).

Last night I finished up my 5th semester in school with a business management final (which I rocked, yay) and then had a pretty good party at my apartment (hit nearly 30 people at one point, standing room only lol).

Going home today, more yay.

IMG_0725.jpg

all is going very, very well and as the vet said not one bump in the road, so since monday evening bugsey has been recuperating at home. we thank everyone so much for all the well wishes and kind words -- bugsey is feeling much better. he's been getting a whole lot of r&r plus his appetite hasn't diminished in the slightest. :P

My "Christmas" Samsung LN52B750 52" 240Hz LCD tv (not Reks approved) arrived this morning so I spent some time setting it up and watching it (just HDTV so far). I wanted to stay with an LCD but just couldn't convince myself to pay for the new LED technology. The picture quality is far superior to my last Samsung (from about 2.5 years ago). I am really impressed with it and I am looking forward to watching a Blu Ray movie on it! It also helps to go from 40" -> 52". :P

:prettyprincess:

Congrats Shelly! I understand the feeling. I went from a 19" CRT to a 50" Plasma recently.

You women were right all along, size does matter. :D

Haha, I should have known Steve would find a way to work in size.

19" CRT -> 50" plasma is quite a change!

I think I need to mess with the settings on this TV. For live sports, it is great. The problem is that the people in movies look almost too detailed. I was watching the Lord of the Rings (Fellowship) last night and sometimes it seems like you are watching the filming of the movie instead of the post-production movie. For example, it is too easy to tell that the scenery in the background is fake or the characters seems somewhat disjoint from the background. Perhaps this is due to the brightness of the screen or some other settings (I haven't adjusted anything yet). Anyone have the same experience? Perhaps I am just paying attention to too many details and not enjoying the overall picture.

Edit: What are your thoughts on calibration disks like this?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B001UM29OC/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2BYOPJ74A7ZRX&v=glance

Haha, I should have known Steve would find a way to work in size.

19" CRT -> 50" plasma is quite a change!

I think I need to mess with the settings on this TV. For live sports, it is great. The problem is that the people in movies look almost too detailed. I was watching the Lord of the Rings (Fellowship) last night and sometimes it seems like you are watching the filming of the movie instead of the post-production movie. For example, it is too easy to tell that the scenery in the background is fake or the characters seems somewhat disjoint from the background. Perhaps this is due to the brightness of the screen or some other settings (I haven't adjusted anything yet). Anyone have the same experience? Perhaps I am just paying attention to too many details and not enjoying the overall picture.

Edit: What are your thoughts on calibration disks like this?

Amazon.com: Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition [blu-ray]: Stacey Spears, Don Munsil: Movies & TV

Its called "soap opera effect". A lot of "purists" refuse to use the 120hz or 240hz modes when watching a movie because of this. You might try disabling it and seeing which you prefer. From what I have read, that calibration disc seems to be a pretty good one.

Edited by ronnielee54

Its called "soap opera effect". A lot of "purists" refuse to use the 120hz or 240hz modes when watching a movie because of this. You might try disabling it and seeing which you prefer. From what I have read, that calibration disc seems to be a pretty good one.

I'll check this out. Thanks.

Dinny: Sorry to hear about the bad news.