HD800? Another rumor?

riceboy

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to ask Fitz if they've been rescreened, I can't tell. I can tell you that the listed price on HF is not what I'd sell them for here. ;)

If you'd seen a rescreened pair, you'd know. The stock screens are hard plastic ear-graters, while rescreened ones use some manner of thin, soft cloth.

It does sound like there won't be an awful lot around. A couple of hundred pairs initially, from what Todd and Tyll seem to be saying. Given that Senn can't really ramp up production (since they are "hand-made by German master craftsmen" blah blah blah), if they do turn out to be the shiznit and everybody jumps off the fence at once, it might not be easy finding a pair for a while!

It does sound like there won't be an awful lot around. A couple of hundred pairs initially, from what Todd and Tyll seem to be saying. Given that Senn can't really ramp up production (since they are "hand-made by German master craftsmen" blah blah blah), if they do turn out to be the shiznit and everybody jumps off the fence at once, it might not be easy finding a pair for a while!

I don't think these Germans have left anything to random. When the first units hit the street, I'm quite convinced they'll have the stock to supply their estimated demand. Otherwise if they have already produced more than 200 units, why not making them available right now when expectation is at its highest point?

I said more than 200 since the pic of the unit at CES displayed a 2xx, but we can speculate they've already produced 300 or 500, who knows! My guess, and as such should be understood, considering Sennheiser's history, is that the first units will be available at more or less the same time everywhere and only from selected vendors. They take much care of their distributors and I'm sure they won't damage some of them for having others offering the product earlier.

They know this product would create expectation and that there would be a peak demand at launch, so it will take place only when they're sure they can supply that initial demand. If that's higher than they expected, then the actual release will be later.

I really do believe that these are being assembled right now for the first time and that the numbers are going to be limited in the first wave. As I posted elsewhere, the pair that I opened for the first time and took the twisty off the cord was pair 348. The national marketing director said that pair was assembled on Monday of last week and flown over to Vegas from Germany because of the customs screw up that seemed to hold up the palette of 20 cans they expected to have. The other information I got from the technical guy (head of an R&D division) was that serial nos. 1-200 were being reserved for special purposes and my sense was those were not even assembled yet.

The upshot is that as of last Monday we can assume they had built somewhere around 150 pairs for distribution. More will be built in the next month before the shipments hit Tyll and Todd in late Feb./early March. Todd has been assured that he is among the very first wave along with Tyll and perhaps Drew (I just don't have details from/about Drew's order). I cannot imagine that they will give a big chunk of cans to Amazon out of that first wave because they can see the orders amassing with the known quantities and will hopefully support them.

^ Sure, the question is if Sennheiser is reserving the whole "first wave" of their run for the USA market or if they're accounting they're selling cans Worldwide, and will try to get some units for every country into their distribution network. IMHO they'll have some units everywhere, and nothing will ship until they know they can give every single distributor a couple of units in the worst case.