And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Some of you saw it on Facebook, but I picked up an '03 Subaru Outback yesterday.  Drives fabulously, and got a clean bill of health from the mechanic, so I should be good to go for many years to come on their bulletproof H6/4AT powertrain.  And of course, I got the one with McIntosh sound system ;)

post-69-0-46605100-1409076990_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

It was only on a couple of trim levels from '01-'04.  It is the best sounding stock system I've heard in a car, but I did have to track down a $59 part from China to be able to add an AUX input.

I'll bet that it's almost as good as the Premium Bose system that came with the trim level I chose for my Mazda. :palm:

I think that this is the only Bose equipment I've ever bought.  I sure hope so.

Just bought a new 2015 Subaru Forester XT Touring (2.0 turbo) today, with all the bells and whistles except we didn't need Navigation (I'd prefer to just use the iPhone and not spend the extra $2,200).  

I traded in the 2008 Infiniti G35x that I bought used 4 years ago, which at 86K miles we were looking at about $3.5K of work needing to be done by the end of the year (90K service, struts, brakes, tires, belts, battery).  I got full blue book trade-in value, and $3,800 knocked off the price of the new car.

We got 2.49% financing which didn't suck, but could have had 0.9% on the CrossTrek Hybrid.  But if things go according to plan, the 60 month financing will be paid off in 24 months like we did with the G35x.  

The CrossTrek was cute and comfy but just too small inside for our family, and performance was lackluster when driving up the hills from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park (0-60 in 6.7 sec for the XT vs 10.1 for the Hybrid).  However, on that 20 mile round trip test drive through the mountains the CrossTrek got 28 mpg and the Forester got 23 mpg (my G35x would have done about 20 mpg).  

Due to <100 miles on the cars I wasn't allowed to exceed 4,000 rpm, so the Hybrid was flat out in simulated 3rd gear CVT setting at 3200 rpm struggling to get up the hill at 50mph, while the XT just cruised up the mountain in 4th at 55 mph with the cruise control at half throttle (effortless).  The tiny hybrid battery was fully discharged by the top of the hill, and fully charged by the return to the bottom of the hill, but it basically would not help at all on the long drive up-hill to the Eisenhower Tunnel.

I forgot to take a nice photo, which I plan to get tomorrow.

post-905-0-53218100-1409114598_thumb.jpg

Forester is a nice vehicle, it's really down to just how well it matches requirements.  Sounds like you thought it through.

I almost got one myself about 10 years ago when I got the Suzuki, and it's only gotten better since then.

We liked Suzuki, as long as it wasn't my 1980's Samurai.  We've had lots of different cars in the past 15 years, but a memorable one was our 2001 Suzuki XL7 with third row seats, and we loved it for 7 years. We did a lot of carpooling in it, and often took the kids and their friends out when a 5 passenger wasn't big enough.  My wife drove it while I was enjoying a 2000 Impreza RS and then a 2004 STi.  

Then I got the 2006 Tribeca as a 1 year old NOS and my wife liked the extra room inside, so she traded the XL7 for a 2008 Outlook when the XL7 transmission started to go.  That 8 seater was even better because then each kid could bring a friend to the movies or amusement park without needing a second car.

But then the Outlook was traded for my G35x when I wanted more a more sporty ride again, and the 2006 Tribeca was traded for the 2013 Tribeca for my wife. And now I'm back to Subaru again (although we always seem to have 1-2 of them since 2000).  

I did think hard about it, and really wish I could have gotten both the Crosstrek Hybrid and the Forester XT combined into one car - i.e. the looks and mileage of the Hybrid + the power and space of the XT.  I think the Crosstrek looks really cool, and maybe I could have tolerated the lack of power if I was okay with rev'ing it up to 5-6K rpm all the time.  Since I couldn't test drive it that high, there was no way to know if it might become sufficient if pushed harder, but I suspect with 4-5 of us inside and luggage for a weekend outing that it would be a dog in the mountains.

Cons - we both wish that the front seats in the Forester were as form fitting as those in the Crosstrek hybrid, which really keep you secure in place with hard cornering (like the 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS that my daughter drives).  I really like having a spare tire, dual climate control, 440 watt Harmon Kardon 8 speaker stereo, and power seats that the Hybrid didn't have. The power rear hatch isn't that special, but the the 250hp and double the cargo space is.  It's like my son's 2007 RAV4 with aftermarket stereo and subwoofer, but with an extra 100 bhp and better cornering.

Larry, coming from driving a couple of Honda 4-bangers and a Prius, it's a damn pleasure to drive a car whose engine doesn't need to rev to the sky to have any semblance of power, so I know just what you mean.  Welcome to HC Team Subaru!  Not quite sure we're as numerous as Team VW/GTI, but we're gaining!

• Like 1

Larry, coming from driving a couple of Honda 4-bangers and a Prius, it's a damn pleasure to drive a car whose engine doesn't need to rev to the sky to have any semblance of power, so I know just what you mean.  Welcome to HC Team Subaru!  Not quite sure we're as numerous as Team VW/GTI, but we're gaining!

If we have the Forester XT, Tribeca, and Impreza 2.5 RS does that count as three memberships?