And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Chris, best wishes for you and your dad.

Shelly, congrats on the improvement - sword canes are okay, but maybe an African walking stick from budk.com would be better (swing it like a bat).

As for us - we found out tonight that our eldest daughter has been accepted to Duke University on the early decision program, and they're offering her some generous scholarships (about 50%). We are so happy and proud right now! 000-dancing.gif

In the end this won't cost us any more than what Colorado State University would have been, which is what we had budgeted for when she was younger. My daughter wants to help pay for part of her school to feel like she has a stake in things, so she plans to take the $5K/yr max in Stafford loans, since they're just a fraction of what we'll be paying. Wow. Great kid! It's great when things work out better than expected.

Congrats, nattonrice! I enjoy reading the titles of people's dissertation, do you mind?

Congrats, HPA. Mine are 6, and I'm already scared of how to pay for college.

I would keep them all. You never know when Abba may make a comeback and that vinyl will be worth bank.

Be careful, dsavitsk almost crashed my computer by listening to Abba on my system last weekend! We think the computer was shocked and overwhelmed, freezing for a few minutes, but it eventually recovered. I'd still be careful, though!

Edited by jvlgato

Mostly great news here, that's wonderful, congrats, but also best wishes for pneumonia recovery!

I look at the record collection and sigh....when we moved into our house in 1996, I didn't have much room for vinyl, so sold off perhaps 2,500 pieces, keeping maybe 400-500 for me. Have grown that a bit since, but have also downgraded the phono setup over the years.... Some day, it'll come back again....including that Abba LP......

Replaced the servers stock intel cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus that was on special at newegg

6527394671_f76c8e8077_z.jpg

The case design of the R3 allowed me to do the swap in place. Nice.

CPU Idles slightly cooler. Full load via Prime95 down from ~70o C to ~470C , no noisier, so worth it.

A touch more air flow for the memory and drives (now labeled for maintenance smile.png ) as well.

Edited by Grahame

cooler is better... 6xHD's - how much storage did you drop in there? also are they in a RAID?

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave smile.png

Non raided - as thats only for availability not backup. Not mission critical. Offline mirroring of the drives for backup ( theres an e-sata port and I have a e-sata drive dock for such a purpose the data is mostly static) . Allows for individual drives to spin/power down independently, or just be swapped out if theres an issue (or moved to another machine , or mounted externally etc) without delays in rebuilding an array. Meets my use case. For Now smile.png

Now all I have to do is wait for storage to drop in price to pre flood levels. e.g.

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Western-Digital-Caviar-Desktop-WD20EARS/product/B002ZCXK0I?utm_campaign=chrome_ext&utm_medium=www&utm_source=product_link_ttp

Edited by Grahame