And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Financial accounting is how the devil gets inside of you. I hated that class so much.

How you math genius types can hate accounting so much is beyond me. It must be, "Oh fuck, there are no symbols, just numbers, and we're actually supposed to try to make sense of them? Make judgments about a company based on their financial results? Not just solve the equation and be done with it?" Yuk! So lacking in abstraction.

So anyway, what did I do today? I know, I got sucked in again by PopMarket. Graceland, 25 years later with a big fancy boxset complete with videos and bonus this and that, 60 bucks. Hope there is a new discovery or two in there that will make me fell all warm and fuzzy.

I found that class infinitely more tedious than any math class I'd ever taken. I can appreciate the beauty and connections between seemingly different disciplines like algebra and analysis but I couldn't find anything in that class that made me smile and go - you sneaky son of a bitch, bravo. Perhaps it was the presentation of the material that was so dry. Maybe it was that the textbook was just filled with formulas and seemingly arbitrary rules that I could not relate to anything else. Everything I had learnt until then had at least some minute connection. Either I failed to see it with fin acc or the professor/book failed to show it to me. School I was at required another fin acc class to finish the MBA program. Never finished it. Maybe someday in the future ill go back and take the remaining 7 classes.

And fluid mechanics people too.

I thought that was a subset of physics.... butI suppose there must be engineers that specialize (or have to take classes in this) in fluid mechanics. What subset of engineering would this be? Civil?

My phd is in theoretical fluids and from a naval architecture (which is an engineering discipline) program. We fluids guys are common in both mechanical, civil, chemical, aerospace engineering and atmospheric science. Tensor notation is used in the teaching of the navier stokes equations which are very common. I actually work with inviscid fluids a lot which are described by the Laplace equations and I have done so many vector identity proofs with tensor notation it's scary.

I remember talking graduate math classes and the math majors bring stunned/troubled by me actually doing useful things with their math.

Edited by Dreadhead

So anyway, what did I do today? I know, I got sucked in again by PopMarket. Graceland, 25 years later with a big fancy boxset complete with videos and bonus this and that, 60 bucks. Hope there is a new discovery or two in there that will make me fell all warm and fuzzy.

Frick.  I saw that and I've been trying to log onto Popmarket with no luck.  I hope it won't be sold out before I manage to get on the site.

Well what little I remember from my financial accounting and undergrad psych classes have helped me many a time when presented with a business proposal to call "liar, liar pants on fire" to the principals.   So Jacob perhaps there is hope.

I had a co-worker who used to judge a floating point calculator by how it handled financial calculations -- I.E. 98 cents would get incorrected to .97999993 or whatnot.  I said, "that's because they're doing it wrong -- money is just integer math with the decimal point moved over two places.  The right way to do it would be to move the decimal point, do the math with integers, then move it back."

At that point there was an awkward pause, not the likes of which has been seen since, "...but this one goes to eleven."