And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I think the post-season Santa blues are finally settling in. I made a trip to Illinois with my mom from the 27th of December until January 4th, so I was surrounded by family and visited several friends from back home, so that kept me distracted for a while.

During the Santa season, I try not to personalize it, because it's always "Santa" that everyone is reacting to; he's the rock star, not to me... as such... I'm just the guy in the suit. But it's strange because in one sense, you actually are experiencing all of that love and excitement directly, but in another sense, it's completely vicarious because you know that you're just playing a role. No matter, it's still exciting and can be a bit of a head rush at times.

Then one day it's all over, and you go right back to being Joe Schmoe again, only this year I didn't shave the beard or cut my hair, so I still look like him... yet can't be running around performing like him. So I ditch all things that scream out "Santa!!!" and dress down in non-seasonal colors and hope to just blend in. If someone asks for a picture, I'll usually say, "Oh, do you think I look like Santa?" and then try to minimize the interaction.

But last night it was a struggle not to tell the Alabama fans to fuck off when they approached me in the middle of my dinner with all of this excited "Ho ho ho!" nonsense and wanted pictures with me to send to their grandkids. There were a bunch of them, and I was in the middle of my dinner (Ok, so it was just chicken nachos) and I was sitting in the restaurant side (not at the bar) and was there to watch Notre Dame play for a national championship! Bad enough that ND didn't show up, but now all of these happy Alabama fans...

I guess that got me to thinking that it might be a long 10-month odd season for this Santa who right now just wants to be left alone.

Thanks all.  She passed away just a couple hours ago.  I'll take all the comfort that you've given me as condolences, so no need to post twice -- I kind of knew this was coming, was just a bit premature about announcing it.  She saved me the grief of having to put her to sleep by passing away by herself.

I spoke with my sister on Saturday, and the story goes like this:  she was having dinner with a male friend at her apartment in Baltimore in 1994, when said male friend asked if she had a cat, which had appeared on her balcony.  When she took her to a vet, she was estimated at a year old, but in hindsight, because she was a runt, she was probably older, so I'm going with 20 years old.

Rest in peace, little one, you'll be sorely missed.

post-65-0-91004500-1357679881_thumb.jpg

Luvbug, 1993-2013