Hurricane Sandy: "Perfect Storm II?"

roadtonowhere08

My daughter lives right across the street from where that crane fell apart. She walked 30 blocks downtown to a friend's before it happened and took nothing with her. They're now saying she won't be able to enter the building possibly for weeks.

Silly girl, I told her last year she needed a bugout bag.

She'll be okay, she has friends.

She's got a place to crash with us if she needs one.

NYC public schools canceled for the rest of the week and my office is closed for the rest of the week, too. I've never seen anything like this in my almost 40 years in NYC. Battery Park City, ironically, is something of an oasis downtown due to the fact that we have power and stores open. People are out and about, joggers, bikers, etc. Yet we are surrounded by power outages. We're very very lucky. Time to take Little Monkey trick or treating in the building soon.

• Like 1

From what I'm seeing on the wires, it's a good thing that no 'Casers live on the beach in New Jersey. It doesn't look super widespread yet, but storm surge is a bitch. In the bad areas there are lots of houses reduced to toothpicks. That's what I always hate: people coming home to find their entire material world turned to rubble and mud. Flooded cars and lost business - and two weeks without a hot shower - are a pain in the ass but a month later you're over it.

dad has been moved from one shelter to another as the shelters themselves lose power. we are trying to find a way to get him west to any airport so he can maybe take a flight down to florida but none of the cab companies are willing to go out to where he is with good reason. he doesn't have anything of value in the apartment other than maybe appliances but those can be replaced but we are all worried about his health.

anyone have any ideas? i was thinking of flying to buffalo or rochester and renting a car and heading out to whichever shelter he is in tomorrow or day after.

Wishing the best for your dad. The positive to take out of it is that the people doing the rescue work seem incredible. I shuddered when I read about the hospital that had to be evacuated, but saw pictures of the incredible care and safety that seemed to go into it....there are some amazing people doing amazing things to care for others!

Edited by skullguise

My niece had to go by ambulance to a Jersey City hospital...Hours went by...She had trouble breathing (toddler)...I'll spare you all the details, but she was finally seen & given the proper meds...

She needs a nebulizer on a regular basis, so my brother or his wife'll have to stay home, but it's great news that it wasn't terrible news...

& their power came back on ~3am....

Thanks for the kind wishes guys. Dads boss drove down from Connecticut sometime early this morning and picked him up and took him to his home. He is just dehydrated but other than that fine.

He has a boatload of homemade Indian desserts heading his way by way of mum. When he called he said please don't go overboard trying to thank me as she was a little overwhelmed but finally said oh I wouldn't mind having some (insert dessert here) if you get a chance. She has been going nuts since 5 making all this stuff.

Anyhow glad he is in safe hands. He shall be home for their wedding anniversary in a few days as planned.

• Like 1

The infrastructure in the US is indeed quite poor. I was a bit shocked on my first visit to see external powerlines in built up areas...

We've been suffering though a rather nasty storm here since Thursday with winds hitting 1. stage hurricane speeds and nearly double that in the worst gusts. Highest I've seen listed was 69m/s which is pretty intense but luckily that's not in the city. Some damage but nothing too dramatic even if the north of the country is buried in snow. Here is a video shot two blocks from the bakery and people everywhere. They didn't even cancel the huge music festival that was held in the many bars on that street.... biggrin.png

Still no power at my business,running on generator power limitimg what I can do since Monday.I have power at home which is good.

450000 still without power on LI.Called Lipa response was maybe by wed.

Looks like a noreaster heading our way to compound the problems.

My wife waited 3 hours on a gas line with here freind to get gas for her generator yesterday.

Edited by bozebuttons