RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Thanks everyone. At times like this the support of the group means so much - you really are a great bunch. Carole's on her way to Copenhagen right now, to support Steve for the next couple of days. I'd be there too, but I've got contractors crawling all over installing a new en-suite bathroom, so I'm kind of stuck here. Damn.

Sue was at home with Steve until Sunday, when a bleed (from the lung cancer secondaries) meant she was readmitted. And then it was just a matter of keeping her comfortable and sedated. She has known it was terminal for about four months when they found the extent of the secondaries (lung, bowel and adrenal), and was living with a breathing tube as a result of the tracheotomy and a feeding tube too. But she was a tough cookie, just didn't just give up, and kept her pithy sense of humour right to the last.

And yes - as so many here have said - rest in peace Sue. I'll miss you, girl.

Edited by Craig Sawyers

A truly great man. I didn't realise that he had coined the term "God Particle" for the Higgs Boson.

Also proved the existence of two types of neutrino (there is now known to be three) way back, and confirmed that the weak nuclear force was parity-breaking back in '57. Not mentioned is that Richard Feynman was also in the speculation loop about parity breaking. When the news came out that experimental results showed that was the case, he was at CERN, and apparently jumped on the desk and did a dance of joy. IOW typical Feynman.

RIP Leon. Not many of the original godfathers of particle physics left now.

Edited by Craig Sawyers