RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

14 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

The Freaker's Ball will be a diminished affair.

Ya, that was one of the classics. They sure were fun. It's like they didn't give a shit. Half of them are dead now, at least.

"...and all I've got is my right hand." 

Not exactly The Beatles, but hey...

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

RIP to Ray....always liked Dr Hook, even if I didn't own a lot of their music.

Couple of Science-related deaths of note:

Lawrence Roberts, one of the creators of Arpanet:  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/30/obituaries/lawrence-g-roberts-dies-at-81.html

Nancy Roman, "Mother" of the Hubble Telescope, one of the first Women Leaders in NASA: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/30/obituaries/nancy-roman-dies-at-93.html

I guess a while in coming....RIP Daryl....

The whole family history is quite interesting, with 2 brothers and both parents also in the music business (my favorite brother Dennis Dragon was in the Surf Punks, but was in a couple bands with Daryl and Doug in the 60's and 70's).

RIP to Bob Einstein too....did not watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, but knew him as Super Dave and even remembered him from Smothers Brothers and Sonny & Cher show re-runs....didn't realize until somewhat recently that he and Albert Brooks were brothers!

• Like 1

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/06/arp-founder-alan-r-pearlman-has-died/

RIP Alan R. Pearlman, the man behind the ARP synthesizer company which made some excellent products and had many, ahem, questionable business practices.  The ARP 2500 and 2600 are the stuff of legend.

VP2VSoJ.jpg

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/2500.php

ikxPWqp.jpg

http://www.vintagesynth.com/arp/arp.php

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out a friend of mine died 1/1/19.  George Vuillemot was a good ole boy.  Lived life his way and lived it to the fullest.  82 years young when he died.

He was a bat boy for the Chicago Cubs and had several autographs.  No doubt valuable but to him they were priceless memories.  Raced cars on dirt tracks into his 70s.  I met George when I needed a dog trainer.  We developed a good and long lasting friendship.  He trained the famous line of Smith English Setters for many years.  Tough as nails and could out work me in his 60s even though there is a 16 year difference in our ages.  Heart of gold.  I'll have to look for the setter painting he gave me tonight as I have it stored away as a memory of him.

I will toast George properly when I get home tonight. RIP in my friend.  May all the dogs you run be Field Champions and may you win every race.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

RIP Jack Bogle.

Founder of Vanguard and champion of passive, low-cost investing through index funds.

As someone whose primary holding is an S&P index fund I am very much firm believer of his and I am thankful for the changes he worked to bring about in the finance industry.

From his wikipedia page:

Investment philosophy

Bogle's innovative idea was creating the world's first index mutual fund in 1975. Bogle's idea was that instead of beating the index and charging high costs, the index fund would mimic the index performance over the long run—thus achieving higher returns with lower costs than the costs associated with actively managed funds.

Bogle's idea of index investing offers a clear yet prominent distinction between investment and speculations. The main difference between investment and speculation lies in the time horizon. Investment is concerned with capturing returns on the long-run with lower risk, while speculation is concerned with achieving returns over a short period of time. Bogle believed this is an important analysis to be taken into account as short-term, risky investments have been flooding the financial markets.

Bogle is known for his insistence, in numerous media appearances and in writing, on the superiority of index funds over traditional actively managed mutual funds. He contends that it is folly to attempt to pick actively managed mutual funds and expect their performance to beat a low-cost index fund over a long period of time, after accounting for the fees that actively managed funds charge.

Bogle argued for an approach to investing defined by simplicity and common sense. Below are his eight basic rules for investors:

1. Select low-cost funds
  2. Consider carefully the added costs of advice
  3. Do not overrate past fund performance
  4. Use past performance to determine consistency and risk
  5. Beware of stars (as in, star mutual fund managers)
  6. Beware of asset size
  7. Don't own too many funds
  8. Buy your fund portfolio – and hold it
Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1