Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

A slingshot with ammo to bring to Cayman, to kill a woodpecker: My link

A pellet gun for my motorhome to keep me entertained when I'm out West and feeling like a bandit and wanting to shoot at soda cans like a 12 year old: My link

Fucking woodpecker is still messing with my house, and has been for a year and a half. Keeps coming every morning. He's made about 30-40 holes in my styrofoam bands, mostly up by the soffit. I won't dare fix the damage until I can get rid of him for good.

Problems:

1) woodpeckers -- all varieties -- are extinct and are protected species here,

2) all forms of guns in Cayman are illegal, even the spear guns that fishermen once used, as well as BB guns, pellet guns, and even slingshots (wrist rockets).

I'm not sure what the fine is for killing a woodpecker, but I won't get caught. It'll happen right in my own backyard when I finally get him with the slingshot. Everyone else in the neighborhood works during the day.

It's possible to get 10 years in jail for bringing in a BB or pellet gun! Crazy, I know, but that's the way it is. So I'll take my chances with the slingshot because if they catch me with that I can always say I didn't know, or I could just make one easily enough. The "gun" is a different story and taken very seriously here.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Actually, I just did some research and thankfully woodpeckers are not endangered in Cayman. The one who is doing untold damage to my place seems to be a West Indian woodpecker. Nice looking medium sized bird:

20070228034535.JPG.jpeg

That's just an image I found on the net. I'll see if I can get a picture of him tomorrow, but he looks fairly similar to that. I won't have the slingshot here for another couple of weeks, so he's still safe for a while.

To refinish all of the bands around the house, it will cost almost $2k. I've read as much as I can this past year, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get them to go away. You pretty much have to exterminate, sadly.

He's sort of become a friend in a way. I do my best to hit him with rocks, but he's just too quick for that, and my aim is lousy. By the time I cock up to throw the rock, he's already moving. That, and I almost took out one of my bathroom windows the other day with a rock. I tried to track him in flight and kind of lost my head, not thinking about the direction I was throwing the rock in.

Edited by Wmcmanus