And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Congrat Justin.  Seem like good deals to me, but what the heck do you mean about the TV pickup in 2 years?

I haven't spent the time to set it up properly but the Marantz AV receiver pre/pro I bought seems good and I just added a used REL sub so I am looking forward to watching a bluray and seeing what the Oppo 105 and this thing can do.  Just watching a few minutes of LOTR on HD cable proved that the sub fills the sound out A LOT.  Happy I ran across this deal the other day.

Edited by Voltron

Congrat Justin.  Seem like good deals to me, but what the heck do you mean about the TV pickup in 2 years?

I haven't spent the time to set it up properly but the Marantz AV receiver pre/pro I bought seems good and I just added a used REL sub so I am looking forward to watching a bluray and seeing what the Oppo 105 and this thing can do.  Just watching a few minutes of LOTR on HD cable proved that the sub fills the sound out A LOT.  Happy I ran across this deal the other day.

i didnt buy the Marantz stuff, just seemed like good deals for a in-store open box.  unfortunately Crutchfield is getting rid of it's outlet section in the store (they have 2 stores and one of them is here).  Online returns end up in the outlet section, and as you can imagine, high-end stuff will languish there for years in my town.  Which is why the prices can be quite low.  

they had HiFiMAN HE-500 on display (the headphones are right in the front of the store), quite a few sennheiser models, and a Grado SR-125 or 225.  and of course, Beats.

as for the LG 84" 4K TV -- i believe it is about $15,000.  in a few years all TVs will be 4K except the entry level and so i'd expect a price of around 3k.  but realistically maybe in 5 years not 2 years.

Congrats on the job Lloyd

Me, I moved into my new house today. Moving sucks, but I love setting things up. I think my daughter is really going to like her new room.

Congrats to you!  I'm pretty sure I have some boxes I never unpacked.  Moving, indeed, does suck, but here's to new beginnings!

Feeling a little better to follow up here. Still hospitalized, after being ill for 6 weeks. Since my last log in Thursday I've had two more bronchoscopy and spent 6 hours on a ventilator in the ICU, had an echocardiogram, a CAT Scan with pulmonary vein mapping, and 3 days of IV antibiotics and steroids. I've only coughed up old blood for the past 3 days, but nothing fresh.

The CAT Scan shows that over the past 12 years the pulmonary veins went from 80% obstructed to 100% obstructed, so now the left lung isn't functioning at all. And now that the fibrosis in my chest has calcified the chances for successful surgery to remove the bad lung are much worse, because they can't tie off any blood vessels they cut. And I'd have certain heart damage because the fibrosing mediastinitis is encasing the pulmonary veins right up to where they join the heart. In 1998 they only gave me a 50% chance of surviving the surgery - I voted no but it actually would have been much easier back then.

So, my surgical options are slim. If they embolize the bleeding high pressure bronchial arteries in the cath lab again it could cause severe ischemia or infarction in the bad lung, killing it but it's not safe to remove it. If I get to the point in the future where my lung is bleeding and won't stop, a heart lung transplant might be the only thing to keep me going. Life expectancy with lung transplants is about half that of a heart, but they might not offer me just the heart if I only have one good original lung to go with it.

Regardless, if I made it this far without the surgery or more embolizations then I figure that maybe I can go on several more years, if I can avoid situations that make me bleed (too high altitude, or infections, too strenuous exercise). I'm not sure I feel comfortable taking the risk of any kind of surgery until they just can't stop the bleeding.

I'll go home in a day or two, likely with outpatient IV antibiotics. But this episode has changed my outlook a bit. I'm quickly loosing my interest in spending time online to read forums. I'm so far behind on reading head-fi that I'll never catch up. I need to focus more on my health, the kid's college plans, time with family, and maybe a possible move to sea level. But we don't want to move while we have one kid in college at CU Boulder for the next 4 years.

My wife has a great job here and if we move she needs a similar level of job for 7 more years until the last kid is done with college, because of my early retirement. She wants to travel more and see the world, but flying is troublesome for me because I have to rent oxygen every time, and still risk a pulmonary hemorrhage on the plane. So, maybe we'd sell the house for a giant motorhome...

Visited my mom for only the second time, first time since she got moved into the hospice.  She has definitely gotten better and responsive to other people, but with the jabberwocky, she's very hard to understand.  She'll start to say something that makes sense, but then it'll end in nonsense syllables, and there's usually a key word that we're missing, so there's nothing we can do.  For all we know, she could be saying, "change my will so that none of you get anything, you filthy wretches, and convert it all into benjamins and burn them all and throw the ashes into the sea", but all we hear is "meh bah bah glue drin..." etc.  And I think it works both ways, I don't think she's understanding us entirely either, but I don't know.  She never looks confused.  Just disappointed.

She calls us by the wrong names.  I think that's telling.  She's got some wires crossed, but I don't think there's a one-to-one mapping, so it's irreversible.

We try to say, crazy 8 ball stuff that's positive, like "I know" and "okay" and "we'll take care of it" and "don't worry about it", even though we have no idea what we're agreeing to.

I am told that she's plateaued, and she's been like this for several days.

Yargh.  My sisters are getting the worst of it, so I am thankful that they're on top of things.

We've started cleaning out her apartment.

On the bright side, I got my K1000's back.  woot.

Took off work today to take Xavier to the Minute Clinic to get his knee checked out. It randomly starts hurting before school every couple of weeks. First day back after spring break and it hurts. If he's faking this, he's sticking with it pretty well. If it's growing pains, they're only presenting in the knee.

he's just an old man like his dad. We're #2 in line, so hopefully I'll know soon.

**BRENT**