And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

In the case of my friend's nephew (he has severe allergies to variety of items, including peanuts), the school initially resisted having EpiPens, then said it would be fine as long as they were kept in a double-locked cabinet behind the locked closet in the school nurse's office, which was located on a different floor.  His parents, understandably, said fuck you, and kept fighting the school.  It was eventually agreed that EpiPens would be kept in the classroom with his teacher (or on said teacher if out of classroom) and several school personnel were trained in EpiPen administration.

Ari is spot on regarding sunblock - it is amazing the amount of crap that one needs to go through for sunblock in child care now-a-days.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

^ It's that whole adult/teachers/counselors touching kids thing, at least around here.  If the kids can apply it themselves, it's usually fine, though some places still ask for written/signed notes from parents.

Ah, that makes sense I guess.  Probably a city vs. rural thing, to some extent.  Magnus' teacher seemed to be on the receiving end of a lot of hugs whenever I've visited the school, but she's local to a small community, where lines get blurred between social and professional interaction.

Al, by now you are hopefully settled in in MI, and resting after a horrendous last night, and long day of traveling today.  Glad Alden responded to treatment, and yes, allergies and bad reactions are very scary episodes.  Especially if you don't see them coming, which is most of the time.  Had our share, and wouldn't wish on anyone, especially when kids are the victims.

Enjoy the family time in MI.  Should be a nice change of scenery.

• Like 1

Wow Al, I can only imagine how awful that must have been.  

Both my sons have severe life threatening food allergies so we have fought the battle many times with schools over the need to keep Epi pens close by and accessible not in a friggin' locked cabinet where no one knows who has the key at any time of the school day.  As Doug said so eloquently, "fuck them/that"!

Ironically, I thought of you yesterday at 12;15 local time as we were were in the allergist's office food challenging both my boys to see if any of the foods they were previously allergic to were no longer a threat.  I was looking right at an Auvi-Q Epi injector display in the office and the name Al popped into my head.  We have six of those Auvi-Qs and six of the Epi pens.  The Auvi-Q technology is awesome but medical plans will no longer cover their expense so sadly if things don't change soon this company and it's user friendly technology will be gone.  If you have the time I would highly recommend you check them out.  You also might want to consider keeping Benadryl 25mg tablets in Alden's wallet or backpack just in case or even the Benadryl liquid for his backpack.

What was Alden's meal prior to his reaction?

Thanks for all the good wishes everybody. It is unclear what triggered the reaction but the only unusual food item was a previously unopened bottle of fat free ranch dressing that expired in April. I ate some too and did not react but who knows what is in that crap.

I thought of you too, Greg, because you have been suggesting those Epipens to me for awhile. I'll look into the Auvi-Q again...