And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Spent the morning waiting for the plumber so he could grace us with his presence to replace two kitchen faucets while charging me the equivalent of two heart valve replacements instead of two faucets.

Now trying to wash the dishes with no hot water and water flow the equivalent of a ninety year old man with a prostate problem because he messed up the shut off valve.   :palm:

Edited by Augsburger

Shelly ... no worries re: Super Bowl.  Not much suspense, as my Patriots will be playing with customized footballs, and smashmouth the Seahawks like they never saw before.  My only  complaint is that the game is in effing Arizona ... please, can't we go back to the day when the NFL championship was at the home stadium of the team with the best record?  I fear there will never be another Ice Bowl or Miracle in the Snow at Foxborough.  

Who's with me?

• Like 1

We have been experiencing really strong winds over the past 18 hours with gusts up to 50mph. So just be for I pack my son into the car to take him to fencing practice I notice one of our door mats flying across the back patio. I go out back to retrieve the door mat and just as I pick the mat up a really strong gust of wind hits and the door mat slams into my bare toe at just the right angle and velocity to rip half my toe nail off.   I hobble into the house using up my month's quota of F bombs and jump in the shower to hose off the blood and get ready to leave.  We were running late as it was so I waited until now to clean up the bathroom, which resembled a axe murder crime scene, before Mary returns from her trip.

Crime scene wiped clean of all evidence.   8) 

Learned how to perform a male genital exam today.

On a patient with syphilis.

Who had a syphilitic chancre in a place where you really don't want a chancre.

The size of a dime. 

The only thing I remember the resident saying the entire time - "always double glove." Pretty sure I will be triple gloving from now on for everything. 

PS. Sorry for your toe nail :( 

Edited by crappyjones123

I thought I would do anything to make money but I just realized that I simply cannot fathom my hand just being in close vicinity to another man's cock even quadruple gloved.

If I was smart and hard working enough to be a doctor, I would likely be a plastic surgeon. Bitches with low self esteem need saving too, ya know? :P

Unfortunately, you would still have to go through this regardless of what you wish to specialize in. During the third and fourth year of medical school, students rotate through required specialities for at least a month. Some like family medicine are typically 2-3 months. Even if you wanted to go into plastics you would still have to do your share of genital exams whether you wanted to or not. Monday we learn to do prostate exams. Hooray!!!

NOT...

The hardest part is not the gross aspect but keeping myself from judging the patient and his circumstances. All the good physicians I have met have either lost their humanity and things like these just don't phase them anymore or they find a way to separate their own feelings from what brought the patient in. It's very hard for me to genuinely want to help a guy who was brought into the ER at 11pm for alcohol poisoning, discharged at 8am and then brought back in for passing out drunk next to a store at 4pm. I realize that as a society we are judged and held accountable based on how we help and treat those who are less fortunate but wouldn't our efforts be better directed trying to help those who want our help? I was far more idealistic when I was just sitting in the classroom. Now that I have to type up charts and stay up all night monitoring drunk guys, who do the same thing everyday without any feeling of remorse, I'm starting to grow resentful. Hope I can learn to set that part of my brain aside when I am actually treating patients.

crappyy, I have an inlaw who has been a police officer for years.  He says much of the same thing about his job: so many people who get arrested for doing stupid stuff go to the station, get processed, spend a few hours in jail, then get released...only to end up back there within the next 24 hours.  It's an endless cycle.  You start to wonder whether what you're doing is really helping or not, but that's just how people are.  You can try to help, or turn dark.  

You seem to be concerned, and that's a good thing.  Remember that you have been lucky enough to have a brain and an upbringing that lets you see that what these people are doing is going nowhere.  They are not smart enough to see it.  Honestly, if it gets to you too much, move to a different practice.  The only person you ever really need to please is you.  

I am still in my second year of classes. Just go to the ER on random evenings to help out and try to get to know the physicians as I hope to work in the ER some day. I have 2 years to figure out what exactly I want to practice and I'll be going through quite a few specialities in my third year that will hopefully help that decision. I realize now that the ER is where one sees people at their worst hours but it is not something that I truly understood earlier. Physicians often told me that once they are done with their shift, they truly are done. No work ever goes home with them and that was a big reason why I was drawn to emergency medicine but I just don't see how the crazy things that come in every day don't go home with the doctors. How do you not think about 8 year olds getting sexually assaulted or a parent losing a child to a distracted driver? I wanted to go into EM because I didn't want to have to deal with patients in a longitudinal manner but it seems like that is preferred to seeing very rough cases in a short amount of time. Perhaps radiology/pathology is where I need to be...

We have been experiencing really strong winds over the past 18 hours with gusts up to 50mph. So just be for I pack my son into the car to take him to fencing practice I notice one of our door mats flying across the back patio. I go out back to retrieve the door mat and just as I pick the mat up a really strong gust of wind hits and the door mat slams into my bare toe at just the right angle and velocity to rip half my toe nail off.   I hobble into the house using up my month's quota of F bombs and jump in the shower to hose off the blood and get ready to leave.  We were running late as it was so I waited until now to clean up the bathroom, which resembled a axe murder crime scene, before Mary returns from her trip.

Crime scene wiped clean of all evidence.   8) 

Sorry to hear about your toe nail, Greg.

Funny weather yesterday.  There was no wind here at all yesterday.  I only found out about the high winds there when I talked to my sister in the evening.

Went out to eat with a Mexican lesbian friend of mine I used to work with but haven't seen in a couple years. We spent 3 hours catching up over Mexican food and a pitcher of margaritas. Day drinking makes me happy.

Now back home to let the car cool off to do spark plugs and change a dead ignition coil. Good times.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

Greg - Ouch!   Sorry for that.  Hope it heals quickly.

CJ ... interesting insights, and you'll come through it ok.

Raffy the plastics man ... Dr Feelup.

Chris ... it only takes one buyer, and at full price, it appears you are sitting pretty.  I guess best of all would be full price, all cash, no conditions, and timetable to your liking.  A seller can dream.  :)

Nate ... Northeaster season, wot? 

Also posted this on FB

So, file this one under crummy days. I returned from a hike near Sedona this afternoon to find my laptop bag and a couple of other items missing from my car. Local authorities told me there had been another theft reported at the same trailhead today.

Argh.

On the bright side, I had all my primary photo gear with me, and my camping gear and clothes were left untouched, and my car wasn't damaged or stolen itself.

Unfortunately, I lost my laptop, hard drives and memory cards, backup camera gear, personal audio gear, and some other bits and pieces. What a tough blow, especially considering the fact that I had not displayed any of this stuff conspicuously, and the car was locked.

I'm going to press on with this trip, but this is definitely one more setback and curveball I really didn't need right now.