And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Glad the surgery went well, Shelly. You'll be a crutch pro in no time.

Jacob, big congrats to you!!!

As for me, last night, we had our annual Gratitude Dinner with staff, patients, alum and their families. There were over 500 people there, and it was really fun. It was also perfect timing as I've been on burnout, mostly going through the motions, waiting for my vacation in two weeks. Seeing a lot former patients doing well, and remembering what they were like back in the day, made me think my current crew isn't really as bad as I've been thinking they are, and the whole event gave me a dose of motivation that should get me through 'til I can really rest up.

As for me, last night, we had our annual Gratitude Dinner with staff, patients, alum and their families. There were over 500 people there, and it was really fun. It was also perfect timing as I've been on burnout, mostly going through the motions, waiting for my vacation in two weeks. Seeing a lot former patients doing well, and remembering what they were like back in the day, made me think my current crew isn't really as bad as I've been thinking they are, and the whole event gave me a dose of motivation that should get me through 'til I can really rest up.

Wow, time flies! Seems like only yesterday that you had the last one. Great that you have those. So nice to remember that you actually do make a difference! Still ... happy vacation!!!!

Shelly, glad you made it through well.

Wayne, how often do you need to touch up the hair coloring? I read your trials of bleaching, and wonder if you still have to bleach the growing hair at the root every day or two.

No, you can only bleach once every 10 days or so, for maybe 20 minutes max on the roots. Might have to do it a little more often in the midst of the season but you have to be really careful with bleaching to avoid overlapping of previously fully-bleached areas, or you'll get a lot of breakage.

You can also do a quick perimeter touch up of the roots with a light coat of white mascara followed by clear mascara, if need be (the clear gives it a more natural finished look). Anything else, in terms of wash-out temporary whiteners, will run like crazy once you start sweating.

I've tried all sorts of theatrical makeup products, and found that Ben Nye "Snow White" works pretty well, but is definitely subject to running. So it's fine on the outer tips of the beard (followed by a freezing spray like Got 2b Glued), but nowhere near where it will come in direct contact with my skin, or pretty soon it be smeared it all over my suit.

Bleaching is definitely preferable because it obviously provides a completely natural look. Even if you use temporary whiteners very sparingly and blend them well such that nobody could tell, it still makes you feel less authentic. Then you have the whole issue of whether your beard matches your hair, etc. But don't get me started... you know how obsessed I tend to get with my hobbies.

Wayne, you look awesome! I wonder how many kids will pull on your beard to see if it is real.

Update on my recovery: I am still nervous about lots of things, mostly getting an allergic reaction to one of the medications... but I always worry about this when I start taking something new. In fact, the doctor wanted me to take Indocin for a month (which is supposed to inhibit bone growth) but the medication bottle says not to take if you are allergic to aspirin or other NSAIDs. Since I am allergic to Salsalate, I am probably allergic to aspirin, I talked to the PA and she said to just not take it (or anything in its place).

The good news is that I went to see the PA yesterday and she said I was doing as well or better than anyone she had seen. I have had very little pain. In fact, I have not felt much, if any pain in my hip. I have had very minor soreness in my neck, back and knees, from having to sleep on my back but nothing big. I think I am going to try to stop taking the percocet. I have only taken 7 total and those were just because I thought I should. I took one last night at 8:45pm and didn't take another one until 9am this morning, with no real pain in between. I suppose when I start physical therapy tomorrow, I may want to take one. (Although, since I am afraid of getting an allergic reaction to the percocet - I have had some minor flushing on face and neck, I would prefer to take as little as possible.)

I am getting more strength back in my legs too. Actually, I am feeling pretty good. It is frustrating that I can't just get up and walk around like normal - I suppose that might hurt if I tried.