And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Well, she's 18.5 yr old with a stable vision correction, and the eye doctor that did my regular RK in 1995 and my wife's RK in 1996 (PRK was too expensive) thought it was a good choice for her active lifestyle. He's one of the nation's top laser vision correction providers.

He said his incidence of needing to do a touch up at the 1 year mark post PRK was lower than with LASIK. And while the recovery period was longer than with Lasik, in her case he felt that the long term outlook was better for her because of her active lifestyle and other factors. She has allergies (although she's been on allergy shots for a year now), and also has mild dry eye syndrome (runs in the family). This was making it more difficult to continue using contact lenses. The incidence of dry eye becoming worse are higher with Lasik than PRK, and having only a 3 diopter correction helps too.

They still include a free touch-up procedure if she's not 20:20 or better one year after the procedure. She's been waiting for 3 years to able to get this done, and the last year or two of wearing contacts was hell for her. She does a lot of sports and has been hit in the eye enough times to know that she was at higher risk for dislodging the flap later. And in the end it was her choice which to do. The physician assistant in the office was also pretty adamant that she'd only let her own daughter to get PRK, which pushed my daughter that way.

Had a care free day off with Joanne that included Pesto & Artichoke bread, and hot cross buns in Half Moon Bay, Manhattan Clam Chowder with Bacon in Santa Cruz, Marianne's ice cream on the beach, as the sun set in Capitola, and rounded off with a visit to Fry's on the way back. Not a bad day all in all :)

Had a care free day off with Joanne that included Pesto & Artichoke bread, and hot cross buns in Half Moon Bay, Manhattan Clam Chowder with Bacon in Santa Cruz, Marianne's ice cream on the beach, as the sun set in Capitola, and rounded off with a visit to Fry's on the way back. Not a bad day all in all

Sounds like you played hooky well.

Mike dropped us both. He's actually in shape. :)

We didn't ride many miles, and did an easy, fairly fast five miles heading out, but the wind on the way back just killed me. Mike was trying to be nice and let me draft, but I couldn't keep up. I also gotta remember to eat a better breakfast. John was behind us both, but his bike weights 6000 lbs. After I drove home, I did another easy seven-mile loop, but this morning was a wake-up call. I'm old, fat, and need to do more than weekend rides.

Mike dropped us both. He's actually in shape. smile.png

We didn't ride many miles, and did an easy, fairly fast five miles heading out, but the wind on the way back just killed me. Mike was trying to be nice and let me draft, but I couldn't keep up. I also gotta remember to eat a better breakfast. John was behind us both, but his bike weights 6000 lbs. After I drove home, I did another easy seven-mile loop, but this morning was a wake-up call. I'm old, fat, and need to do more than weekend rides.

You're not fat.

You're not fat.

Maybe not obese, but I could lose 30 lbs and still be considered plump, which is what I'd like to be, since I'm not into being skinny. Due to the Crossfit I'd been doing, I'm still fairly strong (still go to the gym twice a week), but I put on some poundage over the last six months. I think the biking, along with getting back to eating right, will help.

The ride looks fun. I am jealous.

Everytime I see your new bike Vicki, it makes me want to get a road bike.

Totally understand the "too fat" comment. I was hoping to lose weight this year but instead gained because of my surgery. Even though I have spent a lot of time "exercising" (i.e. physical therapy), approximately 1.5 - 2 hours per day, it is not the kind of exercise that gets you in shape or burns the calories. So here I am heavier than I have ever been before. :( I was hoping to be almost 100% at this point (it is almost 5 months past surgery), but I guess that is asking for too much.

Thinking about a spin bike for week day morning workouts

John, it would be cheaper, and probably better practice, to get a trainer for your bike. If you like real pain, I saw a Airdyne bike on Craig's list for a couple hundred. That thing killed me in two minutes flat.