And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I determined once and for all that I'll never lend anyone a car again, ever. Nothing good ever comes out of the experience. Last 4 times I've done so has resulted in one problem or another. This time my turn signal stalk is no longer returning to the off position after I straighten the wheel back out. Doesn't matter if I'm turning left or right.

Damn, I was going to ask you if I could borrow the Atom for a quick cross country trip. grin.gif

Sorry about the boo boos, Salty.

Congrats Beefy.

Hurray for all soccer dads (and moms).

Damn, I was going to ask you if I could borrow the Atom for a quick cross country trip. grin.gif

That's one I've never lent out! In fact, very few people beside myself have ever driven it, and always with me as a passenger. If it goes up in smoke, I want to be there to take a few tokes.

I resisted the urge to stuff half a frozen DiGiorno's pizza down my throat, while basking in the second (third?) week episodes of Masterchef Australia. Learning to cook and appreciate plausibly edible meals is a thing I've been attempting, movitated by near daily exercise and a heavy calorie deficit.

Took a short ride on my bike, spent more time trying to align the garmin sensors than actually riding, got a new turbine up on my roof (the iron chef's hat) so I don't hear the non-stop clanging of the old one throughout my house every minute, vacuumed, and am now taking myself out for sushi dinner. Nice Sunday!

Current weather map in Grand Cayman: http://www.wundergro...iv=0&mm=0&hur=0

100% chance of rain... the 30 year average in May is 5.5" of rainfall for the entire month. We're at 5" already just for today and the forecast for tomorrow is worse!

Had to take a friend to the airport this afternoon. It was a bit of an adventure to say the least. The average elevation is 1m above sea level. Yes, 3 feet. So as you can imagine, there's some serious flooding going on. Dozens of cars stuck in the middle of the roads, but I got through somehow with my trusty Ford Edge. An SUV is must here.

Edited by Wmcmanus

That map scares me.

Ehh, it's just rain clouds. No need to be scared until it starts swirling around at 155 mph. It's quite calm, actually, with no significant wind. Not a good day to go on a deep sea fishing trip, but otherwise all you need is an umbrella and wading boots.

I probably shouldn't be such a judgmental bastard, but sometimes I see things on forums that blow me away. Here's one:

"Mom was going to buy an iPad herself, but really had no need of a 2 much less a 3 so I sold her our 1 and got a new 3 for us. The screen is just so good it really makes my Santa portfolio shine. Got a sweet red case for it, too, that swivels to hold the iPad either vertically or horizontally."

Who the fuck can sell his used shit that he has no further use for to his mom, then go out and spend her money on accessories, and still call himself Santa?

He must not be the real one...

Maybe he gave her a good deal?

Ya, I guess so. Like I said, I shouldn't be such a judgmental bastard. It just looked odd to me, that he was selling stuff to his mom. Maybe a used car or something, but little gadgets? Just give it to her, man! She brought you into this world! But I don't know his financial circumstances, and times are tough for a lot of people these days.

Ya, I guess so. Like I said, I shouldn't be such a judgmental bastard. It just looked odd to me, that he was selling stuff to his mom. Maybe a used car or something, but little gadgets? Just give it to her, man! She brought you into this world! But I don't know his financial circumstances, and times are tough for a lot of people these days.

I know what you mean, times are tough but I couldn't sell our old stuff to mom. Last Xmas we gave my wife's mom a 3G iPad 32GB (1st gen refurb fresh from Apple), and we pay the $25/mo data plan for her as well. It wouldn't feel right selling it to her. My mom didn't get an iPad, but she got a nook and a plane ticket to visit this week for my daughter's graduation. My mom just sent me a $100 check to help pay for the ticket and I sent it back "voided" for mother's day. We could always use the money, but I can't take it from her.

^ That's what I'm talking about, Larry! Obviously, there are no hard and fast rules in life, and everyone's circumstances are different. I was lucky enough to have wonderful parents who were also highly self-sufficient. But I'm thankful that I was in a position to be able to help them -- the one and only time they needed my help -- when my dad was sick with cancer.

I realize that every family works differently. Some parents were not so wonderful toward their kids, so those same kids, once adults, might not be so inclined to look after them in their tender years. That, and sometimes mom is the one person in the family who is loaded with money! So that changes the dynamics as well, and sometimes the adult children become money grabbers!

Not "gifting" his old iPad 1 to mom wasn't nearly as bad as if he had dragged her to the mall so she could buy him an iPad 3.

My Mom in Cleveland asked about buying my old iPad 1. I said not necessary, I'd just give it to her. But then she asked so many questions about it and when I tried to answer them, she wasn't capable of understanding the answers. I said it was very easy to use, and lots of people her age were getting these instead of a full computer, it made great sense for her! So I told her I'd just set it up for her and she could just use it ... easy. She asked what I meant by 'setting it up for her'. I said I'd install whatever apps she wanted, get her email connected to her Yahoo account, her calendar and contact list, etc. She said no, she wanted to watch me set it up so that she'd know what I did and how to do it herself. I told her it wasn't hard, but she'd never have to do it herself once it was set up, and if there were problems, I'd fix them for her. She said no, she wanted to see how it worked, and maybe she'd decide against buying it if it was too much trouble. I said I was giving it to her, so not to worry about it. She still wanted to see me set it up, so please don't set it up before I give it to her. I told her I couldn't set it up in front of her because she didn't have wifi in her house, so she'd have to pay for the 3G data for a month if she wanted to watch me set it up at her house. She said what's 'wifi'? And what is '3G'? I tried to explain those, but she got more confused and asked why she would pay for the internet when she already had an iPad? I tried to explain that, but she got frustrated and said to stop explaining it, it's just confusing her more. Again I just said to let me set it all up, then we can go to my brother's house since he has wifi, and after seeing how it worked, she can decide if she wanted it or not. She got angry at me and said to stop offering to set it up, because she has to see how I did it, that's just how she is, and she can't have it any other way. She said to just explain how she would set up her email and calendar and such over the phone right now. I told her I didn't think I could do that verbally over the phone, without having the iPad in her hands, and it'd be so easy to just show her when I saw her next, or do it for her, and after not being able to explain adequately what wifi or 3G was, I thought this might be hard for her to understand, too. She got more angry and said to just forget it, she didn't want it any more. I said FINE.

The next day, my brother texted me, saying he'd buy it from me. I told him I'd feel weird taking money from him, he can have it for his birthday. He said cool, he'll just pick it up next time we got together. I see him next weekend. With my Mom. I pray to God that he can figure this thing out, and that my Mom doesn't ask me any questions about it.