And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I have been a single dad since Thursday morning, so this is my last 4 days.

Thursday - Started a crock-pot meatloaf, and made Peter breakfast. Dropped Peter off at school, went to work and worked on my biostatistics lab for Friday in the morning. In the afternoon I took my ecology lab out to Lake Charleston and electro shocked fish on both sides of the levee. Went over to the school and picked Peter up. Came home and dealt with an incident report. :nate: got that straightened out and gave out candy to the few brave souls that went out trick-or-treating in the pouring rain. Passed out.

Friday - Made Peters lunch, fed him breakfast and dropped him off at school, then went to work to teach my biostatistics lab. Showed them how to do one-way and two-way balanced factorial ANOVAs in Excel, how to do an unbalanced 2-way factorial ANOVA in Excel (if you like having a sharp stick poked in your eye) and then showed them how smart people do it in SAS and really smart people do it in R. I'm not sure who got the worse end of that lab. Then spent the next 3 hours explaining to a colleague how I analyzed his data and why I did not analyze it the way he wanted it analyzed, i.e. Why the data could not be used to answer the questions he wanted to answer. Vegged out in the office listening to music way too loud on the Airmotiv 5s for the next 3 hours. Picked up Peter at school, took him to his piano lesson, came home, ate some leftover meatloaf and went out trick-or-treating for the next 3 hours. Sort of cleaned up the house, made Peter take a shower and passed out.

Saturday - Made breakfast (blueberry waffles and chicken-sage sausage) and a shitload of coffee (for me). Then took him to the regional finals for the Kiwanis soccer shootout. Hung around there for about two and a half hours, but he won his age division. Took him to lunch at Los Potrillos to celebrate. Then went to Walmart and the grocery store for more food ( if you have never seen a nine year old eat, it is impressive). Came home and unloaded, then headed out to the soccer fields since he wanted to practice. Spent two hours honing my bruises out there until it got ridiculously windy. Came home and hung out with the dogs for a bit, then went out and had Thai food for dinner (did I mention how much a 9 year-old eats?). Came home, cleaned up the house and ourselves, watched ManU beat Fulham on the DVR and passed out.

Sunday - Woke up bright and early and made Peter breakfast and started a turkey in the crock-pot. Rushed around getting ready for church and made it to church with 1 minute to spare. What's this? No one is here? Oh yeah! Time change! :palm: Hung out for the next hour at Cracker Barrel where Peter had breakfast #2 and I had breakfast # 1. Did our due diligence at church then headed up to Champaign. First stop Dick's Sporting Goods to try on turf shoes. "No we need a size 6. 5 1/2 is exactly 1/2 size too small. I now see why you are working in Dicks, Dick". I make the mistake of letting Peter look at clothes. "Dad, isn't this $50 Underarmour shirt just awesome." Cha-Ching. Next up is Best-buy to look at some iPad covers. Let's see one in a shade of blue that should not be legal and another in a shade of pink that should not be displayed. On the way out, "Dad, they have the new Scribblenauts unmasked game for the WiiU!" Cha-Ching. Stopped at Binny's for a sanity check, and some supplies. Then off to Target to check on some shelving. Finally found someone who worked there, "So where is the heavy-duty shelving you have on sale?" "Right there in front of you." "Oh sorry, my mistake, I did not realize that technology has progressed so far that they are able to now produce heavy-duty cardboard." On the way out, "Dad, look at these Minecraft figures. Aren't they awesome?" Cha-Ching. "Dad, can we stop at the Sushi place?" At least I got one piece of the Dragon roll. Drove home, stopped at the Fine Arts Center to pick up Peters coat which I left there on Friday after his lesson. Came home, ate some turkey, fixed a manhattan! and checked out Head-Case.

You know what? I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could.

• Like 1

Isn't being a single dad rewarding (especially if it's temporary :) )

I slept a long time last night (more than 7 hours in a row), and it felt wonderful. Once I tried to move, however, not so much. Major temperature changes + wreck a few days ago = ouch! *Insert muscle relaxer* Made plans with a buddy I hadn't seen in years for Mexican for dinner, and then had another buddy want to take us out for Mexican for lunch. Seeing that I'm Mexican, and the kids are half Mexican, we just consider that par for the course :)

First place was kinda new to us, but I had a brisket taco and a chicken/bacon taco. It was ridiculously good. They were out of desserts, so we went a few doors down to this place called Milk & Honey which does locally made gelato, sorbet, and other treats. Today, they had Ectocooler sorbet. I think most of us here are old enough to remember this amazing Ghostbusters-era Hi-C flavor, and it is just ridiculously good in sorbet form.

Instead of going home, I'd promised Xavier a trip to a bike shop that was around the corner from this place, but it was closed on Sunday. Hit up the Trek shop instead, found a bike that's on the short list for what he wants (standing deal... if he saves up half of a bike, I'll pay the other half). Outside near a toy store was a tetherball-esque game set up, so we went to play. After about 15 minutes, a guy comes out to do a class for making rubber band bracelets (which Zoe went crazy for.) Now I know what to get her for her birthday on Thanksgiving, and we had some fun outdoors/fresh air/playing-outside-before-it-gets-stupidly-cold times.

Afterwards, we drove straight to Mexican place #2 (our favorite in town, where GrandEnimga and family met up with us as well a couple months ago), and had a great meal with a friend who I hadn't seen in a few years, but met when I was in middle school and became one of my first friends after switching schools. Lots of catching up, and reminiscing, and making plans to hang out in the future. I'm pretty excited about the last part.

Ended the night with a trip to the medicine cabinet for the back pain and watching a movie with the kids. After an incredibly stressful week, I had a really good day today... and a ton of leftover Mexican food for lunch tomorrow. Now, for a nap. I'm exhausted.

**BRENT**

Nice Jim and Brent.

Unless something changes I am a single parent of a 2 year old and 5 month old for 8 days starting this coming Sunday (with a 2 day break for the weekend where Meaghan will return from trial in NYC). I'm sure it will be very overwhelming but I'm sure it'll be fun too. The 11th is a holiday so I have them all day then too.

Chris, holy poo that may end up being a long two weeks.  In the brief stints I've done as a single dad I find the key is just resigning yourself to the idea that the only time that will be yours is after bedtime and even then you will more than likely find that most of that time is spent prepping stuff for the following day.  I don't know how truly single parents do it. 

I did single parenting last week Monday and Friday and a few weeks back when it was a federal holiday and Meaghan's work was open. I totally agree you just have give in to the fact that it will be manic. I could not do my current job and be a single parent because of the restrictions of what a "regular" hour is so I can't make time up in the evenings. I'm going to be in the interesting position of using leave during the day to pick the kids up on time and then earning overtime. Should be "interesting" but manageable.

It's rewarding... But I'm about to start month 5 of this go-round. I've done it a few months to a year at a time in the past. Maybe it's part of the reason I feel like an old man in my early 30s. :)

**BRENT**

Agree on its rewards ... when it's done, and everyone is still alive and lacking serious injury (hopefully), albeit having had chocolate cake for all of their meals (Dad is great ... he gives us chocolate cake!), there is a great feeling of confidence, and a sense of closeness to your kids that is much deeper.

Chris, didn't mean to neglect you - - good luck! Sounds hectic!

In my experience, one thing that is critical is to stick to the routine with kids. It will help you and help them. With the infant is easier. With older kids, naps and bed time schedules are a must!  Also, no candy at least 3 hours before bed! :)

I had the girls, 2yr 10mo and 4yr 5mo, for 13 days by myself a few weeks ago. My biggest fear was sickness. They got sick, but luckily for me, a few days before mommy was coming back, so I just had the last few days of complete chaos.

I find that it is fun to relax a bit the norms, but not too much. Ben may be too young to recognize this though. My 4.5yo is quite the button pusher and will most definitely try to push boundaries. :)

With the routine/bedtimes, I started it a few years back. I had rigid bedtimes throughout the week with later ones (but still set) on weekends. They enjoyed crashing in the living room and watching TV while they fell asleep. I gave them the option of either Friday or Saturday night to eschew the beds for the couch, and by letting them have just a little bit of choice in the matter, it has helped to keep them from pushing back against the rigidity of the rest of the bedtime routine. Also, the brushing of teeth and a hug/kiss routine at bed has been in effect since day one as well.

38 months in and it's worked great for me. An occasional extra 15-30 minutes to unwind if we get home late works too. My kids are almost 11 and 8, respectively, and they set their own alarms and get ready in the mornings by themselves. They're pretty great.

**BRENT**

Scheduled a consultation to see if I'm eligible for LASIK surgery. I've worn glasses since I was a kid, and it's now time to try and get rid of them.

Good luck.  Gail had a great result from her LASIK surgery.  She was lucky and only needed to do one eye, which saved a lot of money.  She uses one for close up and the other for distance.  At least that is how I think it worked out.

What, you don't have man hands?

I just meant that you probably shouldn't give me so much credit since I didn't really do much fixing or DIYing.  I just stuck a pair Koss ksc75 drivers in them (Ari style).  That is my hand though, not sure if I have man hands.  They'd be really small man hands though.

Edited by shellylh