And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Setup OpenVPN on my pfSense hardware firewall (old pentium 4 machine w/ 2 Intel Pro 100/1000 cards and cisco router). My internet download speed actually INCREASED from about 9.5Mbps to 15Mbps along, did not expect that. Set some routing tables to allow for my local windows shares to still work. $39 a year isn't bad. Pretty ecstatic if things stay like this.

Yeah, if you are watching a particular match involving your player or child you really need to be focused because the action, even at the junior/cadet level is really fast.  Instant replays and slow motion would definitely have come in handy because I had a lot of those "what just happened" moments.  On another note it is hard to imagine a bench clearing brawl at a fencing tournament, too much etiquette. 

We got some bad news from the veterinarian yesterday.  Our oldest dog, Ozzy, is probably going to be checking out within a few weeks, due to metastasis of a clear-cell carcinoma we had removed last year.  He's past 11 years old, and he's had a good run, but it's going to be hard watching his final decline.  We always figured he'd die by chasing a tennis ball off a cliff.  His energy has declined a lot over the last couple of months, and today his appetite is way down, which has never happened in his life.  Sucks.

Sorry to hear about your dog. :(

We had a recent scare with one of our cats and it was no fun.  Is there anything that they can do to improve his appetite? [steroids, etc.]

He's had pretty severe gut issues for the last week, and the vet won't prescribe steroids because they irritate the stomach lining.  We're just going to give him boiled beef and rice, because it's easier to swallow than what he usually eats.  He's on a narcotic for pain, now, but he seems to be having more and more trouble with respiration, noticeable even between yesterday and today - maybe his lymph nodes are enlarging to the point that they're impacting his trachea and esophagus, I don't know.

Sorry to hear about Ozzy. Sounds like he couldn't hope to be loved any more though.

Narcotics have a negative effect on respiration so it's always a balancing act even for someone who can tell you when they're doing their job or not.

Generally, in an end of life situation, it's considered to be more important to be comfortable so narcotic dosage can be a little on the heavy side.