DIY cable gallery

Grand Enigma

It's more effort than putting a banana plug on a 3 core mains, but not much, neither is a hard job. But the difference in volume was large.

I'll dig them out of the box tomo and check if need be, but it worked out at like one quarter turn on my amplifier dial with the Soundlabs. It turns less than 360 degrees from nil to max. So it was a LOT of power lost.

I am running a small amp with very very hungry speakers so the difference might have been upped because of that. But after I spotted what was going on I was most surprised.

Yipes! Mine are three runs of cat 5, split into positive and return (so that there are 12 strands, which works out to about 16 or 14 AWG IIRC.) I didn't run into anything that would suggest a big increase in resistance. (With a low power amp and pretty sensitive speakers, granted.) About the only differences I heard, compared to 14 AWG stranded, were better resolution and top end extension.

I braided the cat 5 cables whole, then split each positive/negative pair and aggregated them to make the ends, by the way. Next time, I think I'll still braid the three bundles, but I'll take off the icky vinyl outer jacket and wrap the whole affair in Teflon tape so I'll have all Teflon dielectric. Compared to the really anal ways to make a cable out of cat 5, it's pretty easy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HD800 + adapter:

Neutrik XX-series XLR's and plug

CryoParts HD800 plugs, modded

24AWG cryo UPOCC copper (DHC Nucleotide)

Teflon tape

3:1 Heat shrink tubing

Nylon multifilament

Cardas silver solder

iPod LOD:

Switchcraft mini plug

Ridax iPod dock connector

24AWG cryo UPOCC copper (DHC Nucleotide)

3:1 Heat shrink tubing

Nylon multifilament

Cardas silver solder

P1010961.jpg

P1010967.jpg

P1010973.jpg

P1010968.jpg

P1010971.jpg

Behind the scenes

P1010946.jpg

P1010948.jpg

P1010942.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure I've posted here before, but then, I don't tend to DIY, because I know fuck all beyond which end of the soldering iron you hold on to and which end you point away.

Anyway needed a 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter for a while now, finally got round to making one today.

xlr4-trs_1024A.jpg

Obv, due to leverage, using it with a wee extension cable.

Edited by Duggeh