Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

250V, 2000VA Variac.

Also approved completion on the restoration and calibration of the soon-to-be-mine B&K 700. While cosmetically challenged, it's a beast of a tester and will be as-new electrically when it arrives and good for another 30+ years of service.

If you ever need the B&K 700 recalibrated or repaired (hopefully never) I know someone in So Cal who can do the job.

Does clay go bad if you don't use it fast enough?

it can start to mold after a year or so but that doesn't seem to effect everything since it's fired to over 2000 degrees F and any organic material is broken down to carbon dioxide. The worse thing that can happen is if it freezes and the alumina plates start to get forced out of order and you can have cracking and exploding in the kiln when they try to realign in the firing process to form molite crystals.

The worse thing that can happen is if it freezes and the alumina plates start to get forced out of order and you can have cracking and exploding in the kiln when they try to realign in the firing process to form molite crystals.

I'd recommend cryoing the clay first to realign the structures :)

parts at Newark using 25% coupon (as if anyone cares really):

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR LM317HVT/NOPB

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR LM329DZ/NOPB

VISHAY GENERAL SEMICONDUCTOR 1N4001GP-E3/1

VISHAY SEMICONDUCTOR 1N4733A-TR

CADDOCK MK132V-200K-1%

AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES HLMP-D150

3M 929952-10 Jumper

FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR TIP50

MULTICOMP MC08030000 Neon Lamp;

MULTICOMP MC08020000 Neon Lamp;

MULTICOMP MC08310015 Neon Lamp;

BOURNS 3296W-1-501LF

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW22K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW18K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW16K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW20K00J

parts at Newark using 25% coupon (as if anyone cares really):

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR LM317HVT/NOPB

NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR LM329DZ/NOPB

VISHAY GENERAL SEMICONDUCTOR 1N4001GP-E3/1

VISHAY SEMICONDUCTOR 1N4733A-TR

CADDOCK MK132V-200K-1%

AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES HLMP-D150

3M 929952-10 Jumper

FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR TIP50

MULTICOMP MC08030000 Neon Lamp;

MULTICOMP MC08020000 Neon Lamp;

MULTICOMP MC08310015 Neon Lamp;

BOURNS 3296W-1-501LF

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW22K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW18K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW16K00J

VISHAY BC COMPONENTS 5093NW20K00J

I was trying to think of things I needed from Newark after you posted the coupon. The HLMP-D150 I recognized (dyna something). Neon lamps? Those could be interesting. Didn't realize Newark carried Caddock... will have to see what they have in the TF020 series (IIRC). 25% off those could be tempting :(

Newark is a strange beast. They care a nice intersection of Digikey and Mouser parts. The strange thing is, there are always "sale" items that are marked with a P. They isn't much rhyme or reason to it, for example the 1.00K resistors of a certain line may be heavily discounted, or a cable gland for a large multipart Amphenol assembly. I've never seen "sale" items at Mouser or Digikey...

The neon lamps are a little trick I'm playing with to help ease the large turn on voltage that tubes see on start due to plate CCSes.. the idea is if you have two tubes connected together, and the first tube has a plate CCS, if it is not warmed up, all the current is forced into the second tubes grid until the first tube warms up... the bulb is placed across the grid / cathode of the second tube. It seems to work pretty well, the neon bulb is on at start-up then turns off as the plate CCS comes up. I'm going to try and play with a few different strike voltages and see if I can optimize things some more.

Does Newark still bend you over with shipping? I'll never forget ordering parts for two PIMETAs and having them arrive in a box the size of steamer trunk. I used that box to store every project I worked on for the next 3 years and only threw it away when I moved.