And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Took a walk around the neighborhood with Bonnie to look at what's going on at different places in the creek.

Spent a fair part of the afternoon cleaning and playing records acquired at Record Store Day at Radio Active yesterday. (A huge success, despite the rain.)

Have now been distracted to listen to WLRN on my Squeezebox because they have Bob Perry on, playing his favorite records, which are extra wicked cool. Some of us probably remember Perry as the guy who for years had Blue Note Records in NMB. (Perry explained, by the way, that he actually got permission from Blue Note to use their name for his record store -- just in case anybody else has spent the last twenty years wondering about that.)

... just discovered that the time display on the Squeezeboxes has changed to be an hour slow for some unknown reason. The time on my server is OK. The time zone on mysqueezebox.com in correct. Dunno what's happening. Might explain why I've stayed up too late watching Archer episodes a couple time in the last week in any case.

Good luck Scott. That's a pretty major change.

Found out that Duke University is giving my daughter scholarships that will cover a little over 50% of her total school costs (tuition, room, board, books, etc). This is wonderful news, since Duke will only cost us slightly more than if she had gone to a Colorado state college like CU Boulder or CSU.

Travel expenses will still cost a lot more, but she won't need a car at school and the savings on lower car insurance will pay for round trip plane tickets to return for thanksgiving, christmas, spring break, and summer break.

learned how incredibly easy it is to turn garbage (waste ethernet cables from work) into money. I rented a uhaul and took 6 pallets of old ethernet cables to a wire scrap yard, and split the returns 3 ways with the 2 cable puller guys I was working with. Next time, I won't need to bring them...

We got that used Precor C954 treadmill we bought two weeks ago set up in the basement today.

I couldn't test it until we had it set up with a dedicated 20A circuit, and trusted the previous owner that "it was barely used the past 6 years". I was disappointed to find out that it has 6,996 miles on it and replacement parts are getting very expensive. According to the installer I need to buy a set of motor brushes after having it inspected, and they're not even trying to sell me the parts. They pointed me to a website for parts and showed me what to do myself, in order to fix the "clicking" motor.

I'm not complaining, but it's a good thing we only paid $100 for it. In addition to the motor noise, it does show a fair amount of mechanical wear in the underside of the belt, and the roller's bearings are starting to make a little noise. In spite of that, the installer thinks that with new set of motor brushes it might still outlive a cheap sporting goods store treadmill.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

Congratulations to your daughter Larry. That's great news.

Tonight I hosted my local pub quiz for the first time in years and I was a magnificent troll on the music round, "forgetting" that the songs are supposed to have all been chart hits.

This was the picture round. Anyone who can get full marks lives inside my DVD collection.