And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Personally I f'ing hate the fact that I have to invest in the market and have no choice in the matter. I'd much prefer a bloody savings account but the way the tax code is setup I can invest and lose 30+% and still end up better off than I stated and that's without my works match (which isn't great)..... The whole market is like gambling down to the fact the house always wins.

Edited by Dreadhead

Spent the morning doing damage control when I realized that

a) my gmail was hacked,

b ) all my contacts were sent the standard "help I'm stranded somewhere; please wire me money!" scam email,

c) my entire inbox was stolen and deleted.

Shit on a bike, I'm going to start using lastpass for everything, and switch back to downloading emails to thunderbird.

It's the first time ever my kids have spent the entire morning watching cartoons. I now see why the 24-h cartoon channel is sometimes useful.

Edited by acidbasement

Spent the morning doing damage control when I realized that

a) my gmail was hacked,

b ) all my contacts were sent the standard "help I'm stranded somewhere; please wire me money!" scam email,

c) my entire inbox was stolen and deleted.

Shit on a bike, I'm going to start using lastpass for everything, and switch back to downloading emails to thunderbird.

It's the first time ever my kids have spent the entire morning watching cartoons. I now see why the 24-h cartoon channel is sometimes useful.

Whoa that sucks, how did that happen?

I noticed today that another Hadley institution has fallen. RIP, Aubuchon Hardware. I am torn between feeling regret at seeing another local business fail, or giving in to a great sense of schadenfreude because that store was staffed by the most egregiously cretinous asshats I have ever encountered in my LIFE. Seriously, it was a miracle they stayed open as long as they did.

Whoa that sucks, how did that happen?

No idea, but revenge will be mine! The hacker sent the "please send money" email to my old hotmail account, so I changed my hotmail username and responded to him. He gave me the address of the Western Union in the UK where he'd like the money sent. I'm hoping I can line up a plainclothes law enforcement professional to rendez-vous with him there. I've got to call the Canadian anti-fraud centre tomorrow to report it, but I hope I'm not being naive in assuming that's how it can go down.

I'm going to start using lastpass for everything, and switch back to downloading emails to thunderbird.

Ouch on the situation, but good call on LastPass. Set up everything with stupidly long random passwords, and have your master password as something REALLY long, but easy to remember.

Posting now since I don't foresee another opportunity until late tonight. Today is day 1 of Lollapalooza. We have 26 bands on our list over the next 3 days. I'm expecting absolute craziness. :)

For today, the plan is: Wye Oak, Young the Giant, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Kids These Days, The Bloody Beatroots Death Crew 77 (what a name!), Tinie Tempah, A Perfect Circle, Ok Go, and Coldplay.

^^^ I'm getting old! Half these bands I don't know..... I also didn't know that MJK had joined A Perfect Ciurcle again, good stuff. Enjoy it!

Regarding funny band names, though, I had an old book from late 70's, called "Volume: A Complete Discography of the New Wave"

Had some great band names, like NASA and the Sputniks, and one of my favorites of all time: B.O. Smellie and the Honking Bacteria.

No idea, but revenge will be mine! The hacker sent the "please send money" email to my old hotmail account, so I changed my hotmail username and responded to him. He gave me the address of the Western Union in the UK where he'd like the money sent. I'm hoping I can line up a plainclothes law enforcement professional to rendez-vous with him there. I've got to call the Canadian anti-fraud centre tomorrow to report it, but I hope I'm not being naive in assuming that's how it can go down.

Face-palm.

Anyways, did a layout for a PCB only to find out when doing the last minute checks that I made a mistake in the schematic. Grr..

Yeah, I looked into that, and I'd definitely do it if I had cell phone signal at my house. Since I don't, I'd have to choose between either checking email at home and authenticating via my landline, or checking email elsewhere and authenticating via my cell phone - wouldn't be able to do both.

Having spent a good part of today making sure I don't have a keylogger installed on my computer, I'm going to go with beefy's suggestion and LastPass everything.

As far as lessons learned go, this was an inconvenient one, but so far not disastrous, thankfully.