And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

So here is the update, not really so good. He has diverticulitis and a pretty bad infection He also has a small "hole" in his color but it is only leaking air at this time. He is looking at 3-5 days in the hospital (he was admitted early this morning) if everything goes well (lots of antibiotics to kill the infection and no eating to let the bowel rest... just iv drip). A slightly worse possibility is that he has to have surgery (actually two surgeries) if the infection doesn't respond to the antibiotics. A much worse possibility is that it bursts.... yeah, that one is no good at all and I think that would put him at months in the hospital.

I am super tired since I got less than 2 hours sleep (even when I got home around 7am, I had trouble sleeping because I am a worrier).

As for the two events. He told a doctor over a week and a half ago about the abdominal pain (it must have been inflamed then) and the fevers. I think the fevers (since they were pretty high) must have been related to this. Unfortunately, THAT doctor said that he probably just the flu or some other virus and that he should get rest (they also brought up the idea of the singles). Somehow we were too focused on the pink eye and redness around the eye to pay much attention to the abdominal pain. Then I thought the abdominal pain was a side effect of valacyclovir he was on, so we were just going to wait until he was done taking it... that was dumb, I should've called a doctor about the prolonger abdominal pain earlier. Anyway, I guess it is possible that the diverticulitis could have weakened his immune system which led to the shingles, who knows though. At least we went to the emergency room last night, who knows what could have happened!

Thanks for all the support.

You did all the right things under those circumstances Shelly, so just stick with the last part about making the move to the hospital in a timely manner. Surgery is no fun, but the people I know who had a resection have had very good results. My mom is too frail to have a high chance of survival but she would be much better off if she had been able to handle it. In a young healthy man diverticulitis should be treatable or corrected by surgery. We will keep thinking good thoughts out here and you should probably have a nice cocktail or two so you can relax and get some rest tonight. Doctor's orders!

Get well wishes headed to hubby, Shelly. My dad went through the same thing, and the surgery and recovery were tough, but outcome excellent. The past few days sound like hell for both of you. Sorry you went through it, but good that firm diagnosis and treatment plan is now at hand. Stay positive, and don't forget to take care of yourself.